Diagnostic Codes?

I am new to this group and a new owner of a 92 YJ. What is the best way to look at diagnostic codes? The Maintenance Needed light is on and I would like to check the codes. At a quick glance on the web it seems like an expensive tool is needed? The vehicle has 120K miles and it seems to run fine (the light just recently came on).

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
Bob

should be the same as my ZJ.

55 is end of codes 12 is not terribly important unless it comes with a bunch of others. this code takes 50 starts to reset.
Reply to
DougW

If you're talking about the 'Maintenance Required' light, it is a reminder to service emissions systems, not an indication that something has failed. The 'Check Engine' light will tell you of a failre.

You will need a scan tool to tell the PCM to turn off the maintenance lamp.

Reply to
bllsht

The PCM is the engine controller. You don't want to remove that. Removing the bulb would work.

Your YJ is OBD I, so you would need a scan tool with that capability.

Reply to
bllsht

Thanks for the replies, I plan to unplug the bulb.

Reply to
Bob

Autozone will scan your code for free. More than likely an oxygen sensor in the exhaust went bad. Unplugging the bulb will automatically fail emissions inspection if your state requires it. Why not just find out what the problem is and fix it?

That said, if it's a Maintenance Required reminder light and not the Check Engine light, there should be some way to reset it, you might try asking a dealer.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo