Do I need a new tire carrier for 31's on TJ?!?

I just got 31x10.50x15" MT/R's mounted on my '97 TJ. The spare will now not mount to the tire carrier without flipping it over so that the inside of the spare rim is facing out, which means that the tire is hanging several inches out away from the Jeep. Also, it looks like even if the mounting studs were long enough to reach the holes in the rim with the tire flipped over the right way, the tire would not clear the center brake light extension thingie. The tire is too tall and would hit it.

A quick glance showed that I could probably use spacers of some sort to get clearance for the brake light tower, but what about the other issues? DO I need to get a new fargin' tire carrier? Is the one for the Rubi sized for 31's (must be)....

Thanks!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I am using my stock carrier for my 31x10.5x15s ATs - though I did have to remove the rubber bumpers that were mounted on the tailgate in order to get the spare to mount.

Tirya '99 TJ Sahara TDC Inca Jeeper "The painkillers are rather good, actually..."

Reply to
Tirya

Reply to
David C. Moller

I also have 31x10.50 BFG ATs and my spare fits but my Jeep had a rear-ender accident and the bracket and bottom of the tailgate are bent somewhat. Also I have aftermarket rims with less backspacing so it actually sticks out from the back a couple inches away from the rubber bumpers. Now that I think about it, my spare is only a 30x9.50 AT...i'll have to replace that yet with a 31. Anyway it's probably the backspacing that makes the difference with my spare. No issues with the 3rd brakelight...plenty of room yet.

Reply to
Endo