TJ Oversized Spare Tire Carrier. Which To Buy?

Hello. Can anyone tell me what the best bet is for an oversized spare tire carrier for my 97 TJ? I have 33x12.5's on 15x10's. I had a spacer kit for my factory mount but it started to crack my tailgate. I've looked at the Bestop swing out style that runs about $200 but I just want to make sure I get the right thing. Does it make as much noise as my factory mount did? I see that Smittybilt has a new bumper/carrier combo that's about $500 or so. What's the best bet here? Thanks in advance.

Brian Tanksley

Reply to
Briantanksley

The thing about the Smittybuilt bumper is they are all on back order 4wheel parts has several on back order none of them have been delivered yet. Where are you located then we can help you find a distributor close to you.

Larry

Reply to
extremetjs

I really like my LoD bumper/tire carrier combo. Went on smoothly, works great, doesn't rattle, and has held up to some abuse on the trail.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I am located in Louisville, KY. Thanks for the input guys. Anyone try the Bestop carrier?

Brian Tanksley

Reply to
Briantanksley

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: : I am located in Louisville, KY. Thanks for the input guys. Anyone try : the Bestop carrier?

: Brian Tanksley

Hi Brian,

Or-Fab also makes a swing out tire carrier that doesn't mount to a bumper. They are pretty pricey though at around $520.00. I can't speak as to how well they work or how quite they are because I have a custom made swing out tire carrier mounted on my bumper.

Jeff

Jeff Hendron 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon MatrixOne Support Skyjacker 4" lift, JKS Disconnects Agilent Technologies Fabtech Front Bumper, Rock Krusher Rear Bumper Co Springs, Colorado Rock Krusher Rock Rails, Custom Swingout Tire Carrier (719) 531-4319 33x12.50 Goodyear MTR's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels jeff snipped-for-privacy@agilent.com Bush Whacker Fender Flares, Warn XD9000i Winch

Yamaha WR250ZF

Reply to
Jeff Hendron

I got my rear bumper/tire carrier from

I've had it on for quite some time now and it doesn't rattle and is holding up well, 33x12.50 tire, used to have 15x10 rims but now 15x8. it's adjustable for the backspacing and bolts up to the factory bumper spots. I think I paid about 550 for it

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I'm debating between the Bestop tire carrier and now the LoD one. The LoD one looks really good. Thanks!

Brian Tanksley

Reply to
Briantanksley