doors off laws

Sorry if this is a repeat - my PC crashed while attempting to send this msg previously

I am about to make a cross country jeep trip and want to go without the doors. Does anyone know if it's legal in all 50 states + DC to drive this way, or are there some jurisdictions where you'll get in hot water for being on-road with no doors? If there are some places where it's illegal, anyone got a list?

Follow up question: If there are jurisdictions prohibiting you from going doorless, do "safari doors" (those very minimal tubular steel doors) satisfy the law?

Reply to
ezeppelin

My Jeep didn't come stock with doors.

I do have hard and clear plastic full doors for it, but they 'are' an option.

I drove across Canada with no doors on.

Mirror laws vary though. 'Most' places require an outside mirror, two if you have the back full of cargo.

Mike

" snipped-for-privacy@msn.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I am really not sure, but I would reccomend that you have both a rear view mirror and both outside side mirrors on. I think that some states can/may nab you on the mirror laws with out them all. Yes, I would think that the safari doors would satisfy most requirements, although I dont know of anyplace that says you cant go doorless. Seems to me that those give just about as much protection as my lower soft doors do (other than against water and mud flying in). Then again, what do I know...I've only had my rig doorless in WA, OR, ID, CA, UT, NV and up in BC and no cop has given me the eye (well, not including after the roll in Moab...but they didnt say anything - I think they were laughing).

Reply to
jbjeep

It is my understanding that some "progressive" states are beginning to require doors regardless of whether they came on the vehicle originally. If they have hinges, they would be required. HOWEVER, I don't know this for a fact. I am basing my statement on recent posts of jeepers being pulled over and issued citations for driving without doors on old CJ's. Now did these citations hold up in court? I don't know. Even if a state doesn't require doors, you always run the risk of being pulled over by a cop that is unclear on the law (they aren't lawyers), or just a prick with an agenda. In these cases, it doesn't really matter what the laws are - it gets sorted out in the courts if they go so far as to issue a citation. Regarding Safari doors, I would expect you would be less likely to be pulled over, but the above would still apply.

I believe all states require a rearview mirror on the driver's door and on the windshield. The passenger's door is required if your windshield mirror is inoperative due to a restriced view (cargo, bad rear window, etc.).

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

As a general rule, most jurisdictions will honor the rules of the home state, that is if your state allows you to drive without doors, you can get by in places where doors are needed. I would arm myself with a copy of the rules of my state to show anybody that thought you should have lunch with the judge.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive my CJ across country without the doors. Well, I would hesitate to drive my CJ across country, but the doors are not my issue.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
David C. Moller

on a different note how do you find the headers do they imptove the performance / gas mileage?

thanks Jeff Ottawa 2001 tj

Reply to
Sailor

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I bought a motorcycle mirror and jammed it into the hinge.

Reply to
Steve Foley