Driver's side door rattle without hard top

I know others here have mentioned this problem in the past, but I've never seen a solution posted. Took the hard top off of my 97 Sahara Edition this weekend using my newly built hard top hoist, and now I'm getting a rattle in my driver's side door. I know Jeeps rattle and I know that taking the doors off will solve the problem. So, beyond those easy answers, anyone had any luck adjusting the door? I wasn't sure if I should start by adjusting the door striker hoop in the door jam or if I should look under the plastic door panel for something loose in the window crank? The passenger side door is totally quiet. I have the full steel doors, if that makes a difference.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

L.W.(ßill)

Can you get any play in the latch? You should be able to feel it if it is loose enough to rattle. If so the striker can be moved.

Mike

Brad Fuqua wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Bill. I feel like a real member of this newsgroup now that you've replied to my post. If only you would have said, "Just sell it and buy a real Jeep."

Mike, I can't get any play in the latch, but there is a difference in how tightly the passenger and driver side doors latch. Something is obviously out of adjustment. Should I start by moving the the striker inward toward the driver's seat?

Brad

Reply to
Brad Fuqua

I would mark it 'really' well before moving it. Those can be a real pain to line up sometimes.

Mike

Brad Fuqua wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I had this problem in a '99 Sport with the same doors-I loosened the nuts that hold them on, lifted a little until the door was level, tried closing it to make sure, then re-tightened the nuts while someone held the door up. Fixed the rattle.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll give that a try too. I did have the doors off last summer and maybe when I put them back on they didn't line up correctly. I just prefer to run with the doors on.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Fuqua