Sunrider soft top troubles

I'm having problems putting up the Sunrider soft top by myself. Seems it takes two people to put it up. Anyone else experiencing this issue? (The instructions even say, "Another person will be helpful.")

Also, the windows are difficult to zip in. On one side, the window doesn't even fit into the groove next to the door window. And if I pull to get most of it in the groove, then I can't zip for the life of me.

I've complained to the dealership to no avail. Though I got one of the technicians to admit that they've had numerous complaints.

I want them to order me the regular soft top (not Sunrider), which I assume would be as easy to put up as my old '97 Jeep top was. Anyone experiencing problems with the regular top? Or with the Bestop?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Reply to
JT Wright

My '97 came with the soft top. No problems with the hardware. I had to order a Bestop replacement a few years ago and put it on the same hardware. Still works good, except for the windshield header leak.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I have a 1995 YJ and the soft top does loosen up with time. I am not familiar with your top but there is a set of spreader bars on mine, above the rear seat on each side, that you do not push up until after zipping in the windows. It sounds as if you have something in place that is not supposed to be until after you zip in the windows. Hope this helps.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Jt: My '06 LJ Rubicon came with the Sunrider and it works fine if you do things in the right order. You may need to make a couple tools though. the first is a 2x4 about 4' long to hold the back of the top up while you flip the top part over and hook the header. The second tool is a tiedown strap with a hook on one end and a loop tied in the other that you can step in to for pulling down the rear bow while you hook the corners at the rear of the tub. After a few months this will not be needed. Third step is to attach a side window and zip it about 3/4 of the way across the top, then the front edge of the window goes in the window frame, followed by the bottom strip along the tub. the rest of the window can be zipped up after this.

Reply to
jeff

I put on a Bestop replacement top on my '97, as well. Unfortunately, my old one gave out right after I ordered my '07, so had to buy it just to sell it. K'ching.

As Earle mentions, they do loosen up with time, but that's only at the beginning. As they age, they start to shrink again, which caused water leaks.

Reply to
JT Wright

It's amazing how many tools people have suggested I make to get the top up. Another guy said he uses heavyduty clamps to hold the top in place so he can hook it, claiming it takes a bodybuilder to put the top up without them. Also carries pliers to unhook the retainers from the top of the door. I agree that my fingers can't fit in to pull out the retainer closest to the front window. My '97 had a "pull" that helped one grab those retainers.

I can't get the front edge into the frame if I zip 3/4 of the way--probably because it barely fits as it is--but I followed your advice and put in the bottom strip last. That's how I always did it with my '97, but the instructions for the '07 said to do it first. Doing it last is the best move. Was able to zip it. Thanks for the advice.

Not sure how practical it will be to haul a 2x4 around. One of my complaints is that I don't always put the top up and down in my garage. I'm often on a trip or en route to a meeting when the weather will look threatening. I'm used to being able to pull over, put the top up, zip in the windows, and be on my way within five minutes. That was with the '97 top. With this one, it takes two people to put it up relatively quickly. Not sure I'd even trust myself to be able to do it alone, so that's very limiting.

I'll keep practicing and use some of the "tools" people have suggested. If it's still much of a hassle, Craigslist here I come. I'm selling this one and buying the non-Sunrider version. It's got to be simpler!

Reply to
JT Wright

Hey JT, I'm gonna guess this is an 08?

I have an 06 with the sunrider, couldn't be more pleased with it. When the tops are new, they are stiff, takes a little more to get them zipped. A little spray silicone on the zippers helps.

When you're putting them into the groove behind the doors, be sure you push it in immediately after you just barely get the zipper started, no more than half an inch or so Then zip it up.

Is it the flopping UP of the top after taking it all the way down that's giving you trouble? Or just after opening it up? Make sure you get it nice and even before buckling it all down, get everything else attached except your rear window before you snap the front latches and if you need to pull down on it when trying to get it into place.

In other words, put your foot on it and growl a little.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon With some flammywhammers bolted on here and there.