Earle, is it snowing in Silveton?

Rain in Durango today, should mean SNOW on Earle's roof. What about it old timer?

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

About three inches so far. It's wet stuff that won't stick tomorrow, but I had to clean it off the satellite dish once already.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
twaldron

I had to clean it off the satellite dish once already. >

Don't fall off the roof!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I have DirecWay now. StarBand is trash; don't anyone here buy into it. So far I have cleaned off the dish three times tonight. Dry snow doesn't bother it, but the wet stuff at both ends of winter plays hell with the signal. The second time I was standing on the ledge below the dish when the train came up the valley. "What the hell is that?" but then I remembered that one of the last runs is a "moonlight special" kind of thing. The stuff is really coming down now.

On the way up here from Grand Junction was thinking that it would be possible to do the Alpine Loop, from the looks of the road at the U. S. 550 intersection, but that is probably no longer true. It will be snowmobile and ski season soon enough.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yep, I'm WAY done with Starband.

I would th> I have DirecWay now. StarBand is trash; don't anyone here buy into it. So

Reply to
twaldron

There was no snow anywhere I could see yesterday, except on north-facing peaks. I'll bet the Alpine Loop was clear too. Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to try it. There'll be snow now though. Damn, there goes the TV signal...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I remember good jeepin around Silverton some years back. Drove all around silver lake? crystal lake is it? What is it like to live in Silverton these days. Anything happening there except making food for the train day-trippers? Once though of moving to that place.

Reply to
Michael Stevens

It's great if you don't have a job, or need one. I volunteer for the local ambulance service and various community events. I attend nursing school as a hobby, and maybe I'll open a clinic here once I get to nurse practitioner. Or maybe I'll move to Spain. The people who have to work for a living up here are pretty scrappy...

You're welcome to come back and spend more money. My friends need it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I was going to give the Alpine Loop one more round trip last week but too many other issues came up .... Hey, I thought I retired to avoid all these interruptions. Oh, well, there's always next year.......

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Risking a trip on the Loop in snow would not be wise. In fact Alferd Packer would probably come eat you for lunch after you froze solid, even in a "Real Jeep"!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

The excitement just starts when you retire, it looks like. It's better than being bored to death, I suppose. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Being retired & bored beats being up to your @$$ in unrecoverable issues and world-class stressed out, living in the East and pining away for "home in the mountains".