experience hanging doors on stainless hinges

okay I was sort of dreading this. I don't have a torch at the shop currently, and the Omix-ada stainless hinges were obviously not machined with the same precision the old stock hinges had. Turned out not to be too big of a drama. Once I got the hinges (windshield and lower door brackets) hung in place but loose I grabbed my new (new to me) half doors because they're light, and did a quick mockup. They were obviously not going to reach the striker, so I started tightening the front bolts to push the hinge and door closer to the striker.

After a bunch of skinned knuckles and some cussing I decided to remove the dead front speakers which are really the only thing in the way of getting the backing nuts into place. I got a jigsaw out and after giving myself a blood blister when I got a finger too close to the moving blade chuck; I sawed the posts that hold the speakers off, and finished cussing about the blister. LOTS of room up in there without the speakers!

I got the whole thing tightened down and only needed another 1/16th or so. So I got out the fine alignment tool, and one specialized finish protecting strike isolator... Ahem that's a hammer and a scrap of pressure treated 2x4, to keep from marking up the newly finished stainless. And proceeded to get that last 16th... the Doors hang tight, the hinges (backed by "pansy" brand silicone) have been starch blasted to get rid of the polished look, and on dark charcoal gray paint look pretty good. I should have blasted the bolt heads to though, too shiny compared to the hinges.

Reply to
Simon Juncal