Found out what I broke yesterday!!!

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I thing that they were just week. I looked at then and there was pitting on the teeth. I had the same thing happen ( broken teeth ) happen on the front axle not too long ago. All better now though!! YEA!!!!!

Shamus

80 CJ-5 SOA D30 front D44 rear 33" swampers +++
Reply to
Shamus O Hire

What are you using for gear oil? Did you run it dry?

Holy crap!

That almost looks like the bearing seized up which burnt the axle end off or took the temper out from the heat.

Mike

Shamus O Hire wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you are referring to oil in the diff. then no it had plenty of oil. as for gear oil I was told that it was fine.

The axle broke when I was trying to go over a rock that was about to my waist ( I'm 6'1") when I stuffed the rear tire under the lip of it. Oh well live and learn!!! But I think the learning curve needs to get a little sharper because this is getting expensive!!!!!!

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus O Hire

Interesting....

Just a FYI, the dana 44 is 'supposed' to use API GL5 SAE 80W90 'gear oil', not any kind of regular oil....

Mike

Shamus O Hire wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain