Friction modifier for Rubicon?

Does the the Rubicon rear diff need the friction modifier? or not? TIA.

Reply to
FrankW

Nope, it is a helical gear type LS, not a clutch pack type.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
FrankW

Did it not come with an owners manual? It always says the fluid types in there.

I love walking in on blatant thieves with the book in hand and calling them out. I call them a thief too and try to get a manager involved.

I caught my local $tealership charging all the taxes on emission, not just once, but as a matter of computer programming on the receipt. That is just plain theft.

Mike

Mike Romain

Find another dealer.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

No, definitely not. The Rubicon's rear LSD is not clutch-based so it doesn't need it.

Jerry

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Unfortunately in my experience the dealership parts guys are wrong. Most of the time. Last time I needed info I just walked to where the mechanics were and asked them. btw no additives in yer diff! :)

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Good advice Mike! I dug up my owners manual and it does say to use a friction modifier for the Dana 44 with Trac-lok. I also have a FSM for my older 01TJ and in it, It also says to use a friction modifier with the Dana 44 with Trak-lok. Not sure why a lot of people say it doesn't need it, when in fact the manual says it does. Gotta order a FSM for my 05TJ Rubie to remove all doubt. Cheers

Mike Roma> Did it not come with an owners manual? It always says the fluid types > in there.

Reply to
FrankW

The D44 w/ Trac-Lok (that you mention below) and the Rubicon's D44 with the Tru-Lok are two completely different limited slip systems. The clutch based Trac-Lok needs the modifier and the helical gear based Tru-Lok does not.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to look closer at the manual I have a copy of the 05TJ specs. This is the list which tells you which model has standard or optional equipment They certainly are confusing. In one place under "axel" it says it has the D44 with Trac-loc and under the another place under "differential" it says it has the locking diff with helical-gear limited slip unit.

twaldr> The D44 w/ Trac-Lok (that you mention below) and the Rubicon's D44 with

Reply to
FrankW

If you have a Rubicon, you have the Tru-Lok and do not need the modifier. That is a fact and you need not go any further. Other TJs that got the optional D44/Trac-Lok have a clutch based system. Most of these 'manuals' cover more than one trim line and I think that is what is confusing you.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
FrankW

Yep, and they call the Rubi's 4wd system Rock Trac or something like that just to confuse the confusion. Anyway, sound like you're on "trac" now!

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Thanks tw I got it and verified it with the Service Rep at the Dealer

Reply to
twaldron

The Rubicon Dana 44 does not have Trak Lok limited slip, it has a different style limited slip in the rear.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III