Fuel problem?

Have something odd going on with my '99 TJ Sport. Just started in the last couple of weeks... while driving, highway or city, any speed, the Jeep will sometimes hesitate/lurch as if it's not getting any fuel. Normally, I'd go right after the fuel filter *but*, here's the weird part... it only seems to happen when the tank is about 1/4 full or below. With a full tank, everything seems to be fine. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

i put my money on the fuel pump (101 %) i had the fuel pump replaced on my 92 caddy because it exhibited THE SAME EXACT BEHAVIOR you are describing eventually, the problem evolved to a point where the engine would die unless the tank was full even then i had tremendous hesitation with the throttle half way down or more the car just wasn't drivable anymore had the mechanic replace the fuel pump, $300 parts and labor, eng runs like brand new don't worry about the inline fuel filter, would not make any difference in this case

the only thing that bothers me is the presence of this problem on a recent car like yours (unless your mileage is in the 150k neighborhood) what's the matter with the quality of cars these days?!

Reply to
Peter D.

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body? I had an issue like you described, but it was w/ the tank at any level, so it may not apply. Just throwing out some different ideas. Cleaned the throttle body and fixed the issue of the intermittent lurching/hesitating.

Paul

Reply to
Paw

Thanks Peter (and Paul) for the responses. I'll monitor the situation, see how it goes. My mileage is rather high, approaching 99K, so I guess it could be the fuel pump.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

David C. Moller did pass the time by typing:

It isn't always the pump. Check the filter.

If it's easy to get at just drop it out and drain it backwards. Give it a good shake and see what comes out.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug.

Dave