Full time 4wd or not?!?

Not sure if you can see my headers but i'm coming from roadrunner by way of austin from houston. I think nathan is in north carolina..

Reply to
Valued User

L.W.(ßill)

Gee, if you had said Embry-Riddle I would have known right off what you were talking about. I never went there, but I earned my A&P licenses from Spartan in Tulsa in 1977.

John Davies (the other one) Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Yeah well I went there, was gonna be a pilot! Then pretty much flunked out so I got an accounting degree instead. My suite mate was Aviation Maint Tech, going for his A&P as well. When I saw Spokane, Boeing was the first thing that popped into my head. Anyhoo, nice to meet ya.

(The) Jay

John Davies wrote:

Reply to
me

I am worried that he is feeling the Full Time 4WD through the steering wheel. It seems to me that this should be pretty transparent if it was really a Full Time system. Perhaps the viscious coupling is toast ...

Reply to
CRWLR

Yes, there is a reason. It is too large to fit.

Reply to
CRWLR

If you feel the steering wheel move during tight turns, then the tires are trying to make the tcase do things it doesn't want to do because the front tires and the rear tire do not turn at the same speed. The front tires should not be sending feedback through the steering wheel, if they are then something should be looked at. Me thinks you are having issues with the viscous coupling, or the tcase linkage is picking the part time 4HI mode.

PS You need to change a setting in your news reader. You are posting in HTML much of the time, and HTML sucks.

should

Reply to
CRWLR

Not an entirely accurate description.

The differentials allow for different speeds from right to left. The Tcase can, in the full time mode, provide for different speeds from front to rear, or in the part time mode it can be locked so the front and rear turn at the same speed.

While turning corners, the front and rear tires will turn at different speeds, and the tcase can tolerate this in the full time mode, but not in the part time mode. In full time, there is an added coupling in the drive line that lets the front and rear turn at different speeds, in part time, this coupling is locked and the front and rear must turn at the same speed.

Think of a Part Time tcase as a Full Time tcase with an ARB Locker inside. It isn't really like this, but it behaves as though it were.

Reply to
CRWLR

That's strange. My setting for news posts says plain text. Just checked it to make sure. (Even under the format tab of this message it says plain text)

Reply to
Eric

You haven't posted in HTML, I just checked.

Maybe someone replied in HTML?

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My bad. I am bitching at somebody else.

Reply to
CRWLR

It was me. I had read several posts by somebody, and I had a senior moment that it was Eric's posts that I was reading.

Reply to
CRWLR