Thought you guys may know what it was?

The other day a car travelling towards me, drove past.

It looked quite old, but in pristine condition, and seemed like a Citreon DS, but a coupe. Does that sound real? Did they make such a beast?

It did look very appealing in a kind of old, classic, thing-of-beauty type way. Anybody work out, from my cryptic description, what it might have been?

Cheers

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Couple of guesses, just as an excuse to go look for pictures:

Bristol 401

Alvis TD21
But it was probably a Citroen SM.

Reply to
Grant

I have a feeling it was a Citreon - as I said, it looked quite reminiscent of the DS, and I thought I'd spotted a Citreon badge or emblem on the front.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Cit-ro-en.

Not bloody Citreon. Citroen (with ¨ over the e, which for some reason Thunderbird won't let me do).

I mean, once is fair enough, but twice, in response to someone spelling it correctly.

If it looked like a DS, it was probably a DS decapotable or replica, or less likely, a replica DS Chapron coupe. SMs look DS-era, but nothing like a DS unless you're blind, looking through a vaseline smeared windscreen and quite possibly drunk.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Or, might I suggest, under 30.....

Reply to
Grant

Which I was until very recently :P

(Though I knew what a DS was when I was tiny, and an SM. Matchbox models++).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Apologies ;-)

I remember thinking it kinda looked wrong when I typed it - but let's be honest, the word always looks wrong :-)

Well I only saw it very briefly, and my memory isn't terribly great for remembering the details.

I can recall what DSs look like, but don't know the minutia of the other models. As it passed me (fairly quickly, going the opposite way) I thought it reminded me of a DS, but after seeing some pictures of an SM (I'd never heard of them previously), they look a bit more sleek than this thing did - it kinda looked a bit more chunky, like a DS. And I didn't mean (initially) _exactly_ like a DS, just reminded me a bit of one, with the styling details.

Is this a bit of a touchy subject, or something? :-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Nope, but if you saw a Chapron - even a replica - you saw something very, very rare indeed.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

The car I saw was just one colour - like a gunmetal metallic colour.

And it looked like pretty much like the link, as I recall. It was only a fleeting glance, but my first thoughts were DS, then noticed it only had two doors.

When I searched for pictured of SMs they looked lower and more sleek, so - accepting my hazy memory - I'm more inclined to think it's what you've suggested. Just a pity it wasn't stopped and I could have got a picture.

When it passed me going the opposite way, I initially thought DS - which for me are quite a rare site - then I noticed no rear doors, and thought "What a thing of beauty..." - but I guess that's quite subjective ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall