Gauge Question

Within in the past week both the oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge have gone from working correctly to pegging to the max as soon as engine is started. I am guessing that something is grounding out, causing the needles in the gauges to go to the max. I have noticed that as I go over bumps in the road the gauges will intermittently work until I hit the next bump. Both the gas gauge and the battery gauge continue to work correctly. Can anyone direct me to where I should be looking behind the dash to correct to correct this problem?

Thanks, Ethan Jones '89 4.2 Liter Wrangler

Reply to
Ethan Jones

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ethan Jones did pass the time by typing:

Not a short. Pegged = open. Read.

might be your problem.

Reply to
DougW

I would be checking the engine and tranny mounts out to make sure the engine isn't trying to fall out.... That could stretch the wires going to the temp and oil sensor maybe causing them both to come loose at the same time.

Or maybe the circuit board behind the dash has issues with a ground contact.

One other ground that can open now and then is is the mesh strap from the engine to the firewall. Maybe worth a look.

Mike

Ethan J>

Reply to
Mike Romain