Good Shop Accident Jeep Stories (was welding aluminum)

I guess the weight of the engine and stand were

> enough to start everything moving, and the weight of the trans > carried it over. Believe me, the sound of a transmission hitting the > floor and cracking is enough to bring tears to your eyes.

I had just installed my new, regeared, d300 onto my new nv4500 onto the back of my rebuilt 4.2 on the frame. I had to fabricate a new rear crossmember and so the d300 was supported by a jackstand in position. There was no body on this yet.

Came into the shop a couple days leter and needed to move the rolling tool chest, but the jeep was in the way. So I tried to roll it forward but it wouldn't roll. I figured a nut or something was under a tire, so I gave it a good shove...

BAM!

The jeep rolled and the transfercase/transmission/engine assembly tilted on the new urathane engine mounts and the back of all this fell off the jack stand. Concrete chips shot all over the place as a bolt from the new transfer case rubber mount dug in. Lucky for me that was all that was slightly damaged, that one bolt.

I had just clocked the transfer case onto the tranny by drilling a couple of new holes in the aluminum NV4500 too. Other wise the lower lobe of the T/C would have hit the floor instead. :^/

Anyone else?

Reply to
Jeepers