Grand Cherokee 5.9 Advice

Hi All, Just looking for input on what you think of the 5.9 Grand Cherokee from

1998 as a reliable vehicle. I have a 1993 with the 4.0 inline 6 that has been great for over 265,000 miles. Is the V-8 as reliable? I know this V-8 was a special order type thing and is a real fire-breather. Reason I ask is I have seen one for sale in town and it's very nice looking. Not sure what they're asking for it though. Thanks. D

In article , D wrote: #Hi All, # Just looking for input on what you think of the 5.9 Grand Cherokee from #1998 as a reliable vehicle. I have a 1993 with the 4.0 inline 6 that has #been great for over 265,000 miles. Is the V-8 as reliable? I know this V-8 #was a special order type thing and is a real fire-breather. Reason I ask is #I have seen one for sale in town and it's very nice looking. Not sure what #they're asking for it though. # Thanks. #D

Yes it was the firebreather for 1998, but now it is in the lower-middle of the road v8 range for 2006.

The non-HO 4.7 has 230 hp, the HO 4.7 has 265 hp, and the 5.7 Hemi's got

325 hp.

The 5.9 also requires 91 octane gas. And it is a pretty thirsty engine on top of that--13 city, 16 freeway (mpg). That's with a compression ratio of "just" 8.7 to 1.

The 5.7 Hemi is recommended to use 89 and the compression ratio is higher at 9.6 to 1.

As a sanity check, the 4.7 non-HO "must" take 87 octane and it's compression ratio is 9.5 to 1. Heck, the manual says it will run rough if you put better grades in it... (This I have NO idea why...)

The current hot-rod topend engine is the 6.1 Hemi and while it also has to use 91, it's compression ratio is supposed to be 10-something to 1. And it is supposed to have 415-425 hp... (!!!)

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
bllsht

Can't beat the amount of vehicle you get for the price with a well kept '98 GC 5.9 Limited. These things were near $40k when new and had every option imaginable.

The notes about fuel consumption are good advice. This is a thirsty vehicle and will take teh good stuff, and you may even have to shop brands of that to keep detonation down to a minimum.

I was told the drivetrain is almost bullet proof as long as the fluids are changed regularly. A 25k interval is recommended for everything from differentials to transmission. With the beast up front, I could se that an unkept tranny might be the most common mechanical failure.

I've had mine for about 15 months and 30k miles now and don't regret the purchase at all. Yes, it is expensive to keep, but as a winter vehicle, it's not too bad.

I guess my only complaint is the Infinity sound system. The front speakers (doors and dash) on all the ones I looked at before purchasing and mine appear to be a weak link.

Oh, as as for it being a mid-pak performer, $289 for the K&M intake and $89 for a Flowmaster quickly evens the playing field.

Bob Liberty MO

Reply to
RCSnyder

and it's just as fast as the new GC Hemi!!!

not the SRT 8 of course

Reply to
Gazoo

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
philthy

reflashing it is silly.

Reply to
Gazoo

Interesting sentiment.

Approximately 14,000 customers put out over $38k for the 5.9 in '98. To pay only $7k (less than 20 percent) more some 8 model years later for a similarly loaded, Hi-po vehicle is really quite a deal.

Of course, those people could all be nuts and may have thrown their money away. Perhaps we should ask if any of them think they got taken?

Meanwhile, the rest of us should make the Jeep dealer our best friend so when one of these deranged types brings his/her '98 in as a trade, we can grab for it $7-8k before it goes to the used car dealer.

Reply to
RCSnyder

Funny you should mention that... there is one in reasonably good condition setting on a lot near here right now. Sooo.... do I trade for it, or wait for the stock options to climb.

RCSnyder proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Makes for a great driver while your '70 AAR is tucked in for the winter.

Reply to
RCSnyder