Heater Controls

I been looking into the heater controls on my '76 CJ-7. The one that I'm curious about is the three position knob for Air (Off-Heat-Vent). From the books that I looked at and also from looking under the dash, I am wondering if there were some '76 models that did not have a vent. I looked at my dad's '84 CJ-7 and the mechanism at the end of that particular cable is much more complicated that the contol that is at the end on my '76. Do I have a vent?

Thanks,

Chip

I also located an interesting website that explains the vertical bars on the grill of a Jeep. I betcha a bunch of other people here already know this one. Any takers?

Reply to
Chip

My 76 CJ7 has a vent, if you pull the AIR control knob (bottom knob to the left of the instrument cluster) out as far as it will go and you should get fresh air to the passenger compartment.

Reply to
John Benito

The reason that I asked was because the year range on some parts starts at

1976, so I wanted to find out what they were like in 1975 just to see if the heating equipment was removed from an earlier model. I spent some time this past weekend looking under my dash to see what this knob is supposed to do. The Air knob is currently the second one down from the top. I found it under the dash and there is no possible way to pull it out any farther. Right now, I cannot tell if it's in the correct position or if there were some '76 jeeps that had a different heat/air system on them.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Sorry, I can not be of more help. My 76 was built in September of 1975. The second knob on mine is the defroster, with the third being the heat. Guess you could physically trace the cables.

Oh, forgot about the grill. The first jeep I remember, my uncles, had what looked like steel bars (heavy) as a grill. Remember Dad saying something about that was the only thing Ford did that was worth a crap, but I don't really know the history.

Reply to
John Benito