HELP,,electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5

Mike found the relay, got the starter, and alt back in, went back to schucks, another test, the alt is O.k. but im NOT charging my batt, the RED- wire on the plug, checks out O.K. the Brown-wire checks out O.K. the RED- wire on the back of the alt checks out O.K. , what for crimminies sake can be stopping the alt from charging the batt?? where do i go next,??

how do i track it, GAWD im in electrical hell, and its killing my new batt.

425-346-9210 if anybody wants to help me,

johnpeeeeeeDooofff

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

That fuse link wire I was mentioning. Either the connection is dirty or it is dead. If the alternator wire broke and touched the case, it popped the fuse link. That is the loop end and about 8" of soft rubber red wire ending in a fat rubber crimp tube. It will be coming off the same post as the battery cable goes on on the relay. You can get fuse link wire at the dealer by the foot. It has to be crimped in place, solder won't work and the alternator uses 14 Ga. fuse link. Sometimes they sell it by the insulation color.

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

im gonna read your post again, in a minute, continuity test,--- nut on relay-to-red on back of alt---beep, nut on relay-to-red on pos. batt---beep, nut on relay-to-ground/frame--beep, , johnp explain??

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

im gonna read your post again, in a minute, continuity test,--- nut on relay-to-red on back of alt---beep, nut on relay-to-red on pos. batt---beep, nut on relay-to-ground/frame--beep, , johnp explain??

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Just 'fixed' that problem here. Mine was a fuse wire - the one on the end of fat read wire coming from the alternator. If you follow the wires, the wire from the alternator goes to a bolt on the relay. A wire from that same bolt goes to the battery, so (at least in my setup) the alternator is hard wired to the battery. In my case, the fuse wire had parted right at the crimp inside the rubber boot so that the usual 'if it stretches it's broke' test didn't show it. Measure both ends of that fuse wire.

I've also seen setups where there were two fuse wires: one from the alternator to the distribution point and a second from there to the battery. Murphy rules - it's the one you can't see that breaks ;-(

Reply to
Will Honea

Will but will that couse the "nut" on the relay to give a Beep on a test to ground? isnt that nut isolated from ground? im about to jump around my links, to try it, as im getting a beep from all my wires, so if the fuse-link was toast it shouldent beep,,right,,,i think,,,

gawd,,,

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

from my chilton book, ive got two red wires, to a fusable link, comming out to a brown wire onto the relay bolt. these are the ones ive tested, they beep.

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

I wish you would quote who you are answering....

Do you get a beep from the battery positive to the alternator post?

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

wish you would quote who you are answering....

Do you get a beep from the battery positive to the alternator post?

Mike, yes i get a beep from batt + to alt post.

could it be tied in with PCM??? , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Why am i getting a beep from relay-post to ground?? there shouldent be a beep there should there?

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

i just got back from the JEEP dealer,

85 bucks an hr to "try" and figure it out, i dont have that type of cash my wife would burn the jeep. then me.
Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It kind of sounds like you're using a continuity tester, that'll ping just going through my body from my right hand to left. Use something that must burn a bulb in it. And a volt meter that will tell you if your ignition switch is powering the Sator. God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Bill your right, here goes again, batt-neg--to relay post,,12.7V batt-neg--to alt post 12.6V Batt neg--to red wire on ALT plug 12.6V Batt pos--to brn wire on Alt plug 12.6V

ignition key in the off position.

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

you if your ignition switch is powering the Sator. God Bless America, =DFill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Bill, sorry for my ignorance, Whats a SATOR ??

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

O.K. so is that the other wire on the plug going into the alternator(brown) how do i test it? , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, key off, no juice through brown wire going to alternator plug, key-ON 12.5V going through wire,

johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

before starting checked batt, 12V unhooked red cable on back of altinator, placed meter on post on back side of altinator, other line on pos of batt, 11.8V, started jeep, numbers moved down to 4.0 then jumped moving up to 20.0 vots, as we brought idle up to 2500rpm, back down to idle, meter read 11.5V , johnp

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg