HELP,,electrical nightmare 90YJ 2.5

Son of a......

Cool!

Ok, now you can use the booster to find the bad connection. Hook it on the alternator bracket and see if the voltage drops, then hook it on the engine block.

I am figuring the alternator bracket has lost it's ground to the block. It does happen. I usually just get a second black ground wire and go from the alternator bolt or the bracket to the battery negative so the alternator has a dedicated ground.

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, ive taken the cables all the way off, stopped the motor, re-started, and its now charging, , but i will still do as youve said, theres gotta be something, keeping it from getting a ground,

johnp

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, and Patience, nice to know us handicapped folks have people like you to help us out

Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

You are welcome.

You should beef up the ground, it lost it and managed to jump it again by arcing somewhere but it won't last or allow all the power to pass.

Mike

Dirty Ditch Dawg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bad ground to the alternator case - that sucker should be as close the the negative terminal as possible. May be a dirty/cruddy/oily contact where the alternator bolts to the block or a bad ground between the battery and the block. Try using a jumper cable from the battery negative directly to the alternator case and see what happens - should charge like a fool.

On the I6, there is a #4 or larger wire from the negative post to a stud just behind the oil filter. That one can easily be crudded up or it could be a corroded connector on that wire. That would kill the engine and the alternator ground as well. The connection to the stud is a PITA to get off - it's double nutted on a stud screwed into the block and likes to come out of the block instead of letting the outer come off.

That large nut on the starter relay where the alternator wire attaches can be a bitch to get off as well - it really takes two wrenchs to keep from buggering the relay by twisting the bolt as you loosen it but one has to be really thin to get in there. Mine took 2-3 days soak with penetrating oil and several good grunts to get off last time I did it.

Reply to
Will Honea