active speakers nightmare - help !!!

Hi,

I drive a 91' Passat Stationwagon. My previous CD Player (Kenwood) was installed by a technician. However, the CD-player was stolen and now I am replacing it with another one (Sony CDX-F7705X). I thought that this time I would be able to do it myself, but it seems that what looked initially like no-brainer is something beyond my abilities...

My Passat is equipped with 6 original speakers and they are Activ Speakers. I have a car manual with all the electrical wiring diagrams, but still I have problems to connect my CD deck to the speakers. I successfully wired the CD deck to turn it on, illuminate, play CDs, but there is no sound coming out as I still struggle with the speakers. I would like to avoid rewiring my car and changing the speakers.

If some good soul could give me a helping hand on wiring the speakers, I would be very grateful (and my 3-month baby would enjoy riding the car even more while playing Baby Einstein Vivaldi ;-) OK, back to the wires...

My CD deck has the standard wires coming out:

-BLACK (to the metal surface of the car) - connected

-BLUE ("ANT REM", to the power antenna control lead or power supply lead of antenna booster amplifier) - not connected

-LIGHT BLUE ("ATT", to the interface cable of a car telephone) - not connected

-ORANGE/WHITE STRIPED (illumination) - connected

-RED (to +12V power terminal which is energized in the accessory position of the ignition key switch) - connected

-YELLOW (to +12V power terminal which is energized at all times) - connected

-BLUE/WHITE STRIPED ("AMP REM, to the Amp Remote In of an optional power amplifier) - not connected

WHITE (left+ ) - not connected WHITE/BLACK STRIPED (left- ) - not connected

GRAY (right+ ) - not connected GRAY/BLACK STRIPED (right-) - not connected

GREEN (left+ ) - not connected GREEN/BLACK STRIPED (left- ) - not connected

PURPLE (right+ ) - not connected PURPLE/BLACK STRIPED (right-) - not connected

My Passat has the following free wires sticking out: BLUE/BROWN - not connected GREEN - not connected BLUE - not connected BLUE/RED - not connected RED/BLACK - not connected WHITE/BLUE - already connected to the harness by the previous technician BROWN - (looks to me like ground) - already connected to the harness by the previous technician

The manual I use is: VW Passat 1900-1993 by Robert Bentley Publishers (1996), the wiring diagram I am referring to is on pages 91-10-6 & 91-10-7 (1991-1992 Stereo radio w/six amplified speakers)

Can someone please hint which cables in my Passat I should connect the speaker wires to in order to get the speakers finally working? I will be monitoring this group for any replies and helpful tips. Thank you!

Robert

Reply to
Robert K

Try looking this page: