Help with Tools to cut frame

What tool can I use to cut a 1962 Willys CJ5 frame? I have a small Porter Cable 2HP 6 Gallon compressor. Also, I have a nice sawzall, but don't think that will work...haven't tried it though. How about a die grinder attached to my compressor? I don't need a nice cut, just a cut.

Reply to
Jimmy1964CJ5

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill that only applies to trucks not jeeps, jeeps are immune to everything.

A far as cutting, use a 6 inch cut off wheel with a hand grinder, it will throw a boat load of sparks. Also if you intend to do any welding use an 80 series low hydrogen wire/rod. Pre heat area to 350 degrees check with temp sticks and after welding post heat to 350 degrees. Also, you should peen the welded area it aligns the grain of the metal. If done properly you will not weaken your frame and the weld will be stronger than the original metal. The frames were made of a hardened steel called core-10. The welding process above will keep you out of trouble.

Reply to
HarryS

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the notes. This is what happened. I bought a 1962 CJ5 rolling chasis that still had the transmission and transfer case. I need the transmission, transfer case, hitch, and a couple of other parts. I was just going to dump everything else since I have no way to store it. Anyone need a free 1962 Willys rolling chasis that is almost complete? The frame is in decent shape, it will need a new front bumper and rear bumper. I live by Trenton, NJ, on the Pennsylvania side.

Reply to
Jimmy1964CJ5

If it's just scrap, a cutting torch will make short work of it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Hate to see a good chassis cut up, I'd take it but I'm a bit too far away :(.

Try posting it here-

or on here-

or on both :).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for the notes. I listed the chasis on ebay last night for $100 (do a search on "1962 Willys chasis" and you can take a look). We'll see if that works. If not, I'll list it on a few more sites. Hopefully we can find her a good home.

Reply to
Jimmy1964CJ5

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III