what tool to cut fenders?

Going to cut some fenders, etc. and asking if Dremel makes a strong enough tool. or should I use a grinder, and what type wheel? No access to air tools, and can't afford any bucks, never mind BIG bucks, to get Milwaukee stuff... I hear a Sawsall is choppy, and overkill...thanks! :+) paul watch somone suggest a hack saw...

Reply to
pmbedard

Angle grinder with metal cutting disc. The thinner the disc, the nicer cut you get. I use

1mm for precision cutting and the more standard 2 - 2.5mm thick disc for more coarse work and thicker metals.

When you cut, leave enough metal to be able to bend the edge over to form a stock-like lip or a full, tight fold. This not only protects you and pedestrians from nasty cuts but also prevents rusting on the outside edge and makes the fender a lot more rigid. Bet you knew that but I had to point it out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

... actually, yes.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-349F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-350F.JPG I am able to make very-controlled cuts like this:

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-351F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-352F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I'm with Max. A jigsaw is a wonderful, inexpensive tool for you to use,.........................byu a cheap jigsaw, but buy GOOD blades,..............nice thick ones ( or stiff, if you like)will not flex and twist and bind so much.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The best I have found is an industrial grade die grinder with the thin metal cutting disks like Jan referred to. The disks are from 2.5 to 4 inches in diameter - it takes a massive tool to spin the 4 inchers. Line up everything you want to cut and go rent a grinder. I'll take aphoto of mine if you're unclear. It's like a giant dremel - about 40 times bigger! I used it to remove all the excess sheetmetal in my engine compartment for the fitting of the Roo. Very little clean-up afterwards. Be sure to use a face shield and breathing protection - there's a lot of metal dust generated.

- Busahaulic

a strong

wheel? No access

bucks, to get