Hi-Jack Accessories Question

I have been lucky so far by not having a flat on a trail ride but it is going to happen at some point. I have my Hi-Jack, lug wrench and spare tire onboard and ready for the occasion. Should I be carrying anything else to change a tire? Are any of the Hi-Jack accessories a must have? Thanks!

Reply to
JeePenn

I have been lucky so far by not having a flat on a trail ride but it is going to happen at some point. I have my Hi-Jack, lug wrench and spare tire onboard and ready for the occasion. Should I be carrying anything else to change a tire? Are any of the Hi-Jack accessories a must have? Thanks!

Reply to
JeePenn

No, just keep your chin out of the "Hi-Jack" handle's line of fire!

Reply to
Jerry McG

A good base-plate. Something that won't sink into the sand or mud. I have a piece of aluminum diamond-plate about a foot square. Nice and light and plenty strong.

Reply to
Charlie

You might want a hydraulic jack for tire changes.

That 'widow maker' has no business being anywhere near a Jeep with a flat tire. Now maybe to jack it up and push it over a rock or something you might have use for the thing, but 'never' use it when you have to get under the Jeep in any way.

The handle on it makes an OK breaker bar if the wheel lugs are stuck on, I have used one that way on a tire change.

I have a cheap hydraulic floor jack and it fits tight in behind the passenger seat.

Mike

JeePenn wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Good advice, I once used one to lift my YJ while it was in the garage, it suddenly slipped to one side and fell off the Hi-Lift and nearly took out the wall. Fortunately the tire was still on.

FWIW, I was going to toss the YJ's original scissor jack that's mounted under the hood. However, even though I'm running 35's it can still provide enough lift to get a fully inflated tire off the ground.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
James Gemmill

Using that HiLift to change a tire is risky business.

You should dismount the spare and lay it beside the Jeep. Then, loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire. Then, raise the Jeep on the HiLift AND put the spare under the axle or anyplace where should the vehicle fall off the jack, the spare will stop it before it hits the ground. Then, remove the lug nuts most of the way. Then get the spare out and remove the lug nuts the rest of the way, being very careful to not allow the vehicle to move sideways. Remove the flat tire and place it where the spare was. Then, put the spare on and bolt it down.

A HiLift jack should only be used for recovery operations. It is possible to use ot for flat tire repair, but this is potentially a deadly thing to be doing. If you have a buddy with you, you can put his spare under your frame, this way you can keep your spare handy beside the flat tire you are working on.

As for accessories, you might want to get the foot that keeps the base of the jack from sinking into the sand.

Reply to
CRWLR