So Cal Jeep Trail Recomendstions

I'm going on a date this Saturday. I live in the Riverside area, and I was wondering if anyone had any trail recomendations for my Jeep. I would like to start at around 2p.m. and end up some where in the desert (so I can have a camp fire) at night. We were thinking of Mojave, but I'm open to ther sgestions. I'de like a challenging trail, but not rock crawling because I don't have locking diffs.

Chris Maness

Reply to
Chris

Where do you find Jeep girls?

Reply to
billy ray

In Jeeps?

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Never, that's NEVER, go into the desert alone. That's without another vehicle, not a passenger in your Jeep.

Having said that, go to Anza Borrego State Park. You can get there through Temecula, but a 2:00 pm start time is a bit late since it gets dark around

  1. You'll get to the desert in time to watch the sun set over the mountains you just drove down. If you left the house ar around noon, you'd have a nice day in the desert, and still be able to get home.

You could take the Indian Truck Trail exit from the 15, south of Corona, and go to the top of Saddleback Mountain. You can leave your house at 2, and make it to the top easily. Watch the sun drop into the ocean, then drive down the mountain and get a burger at Tom's Farm. Take your binoculars.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Even equiped with HAM radio?

Reply to
Chris

Yea, I was looking at some stuff near Anza (Los Coyotes Indian Res.) I might just go ealier and leave the wife behind. She's whining about being to busy and not wanting to "get thrown around."

Chris Maness KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris

Chris proclaimed:

Yup, even with a ham radio, a cell phone, a citizens band. Perhaps if you have an Ultralight it might not be such a bad idea... Or at least make darned sure you leave behind a very clear map of where you are going, do not deviate from that route, and a clear time where and when you plan to return. Even members of the old Jeep Posse around Green River/Moab had that rule... and those were locals that knew the area very well--which is why the rule.

Reply to
Lon

Sounds good, anyone down to go out this Saturday?

Chris Maness

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What happened there?

Reply to
Chris

Are the 4x4 trails in Joshua Tree NP any good?

Reply to
Chris

Yes.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What about a Green Eggs and Ham Radio?

Reply to
billy ray

Well, that puts a crimp on folks who have no friends .

Agreed it's risky, so is driving the highways to get there. Also risky is solo backpacking, trekking and ocean voyaging, but there's rewards in solitude that may outweigh the risks. There's good books on this subject.

That being said, don't be foolish. Have a properly equipped reliable rig, trip plan filed with somebody, enough camping gear, clothing (dress appropriately, cover up), lots of *water* & food to survive comfortably several days unasissted; even for a day trip. In a half day you can get out to where it might as well be a million miles back to civilization if there's a problem. Water is critical, split it into several (sturdy, not supermarket jug) containers, so you don't lose it all if you spring a leak.

Visit the ranger station on the way in and take the search out of Search and Rescue, and drop by or call after you're out. BTW, the Anza Borrego rangers have never told me soloing is a no-no.

Don't push the 4-wheeling aspect of it, don't go through an obstacle that's difficult or can't be traversed the other direction. Don't get lost (which means always knowing the way back, not where you are), or start to get lost. Learn basic orienteering skills, *then* buy a GPS. Take your time when wheeling and hiking, think slow and safe.

Stick to known trails that are travelled by others at least every few days. Be especially careful when in new territory, get nervous if there's no fairly fresh tire tracks in front of you. If things go wrong, stay with your rig, don't try walking out (never during mid-day) unless it's just a mile or two on the trail, not cross country. Have the weather sized up, especially the possibility of rain. A 406mhz PLB is a wise investment.

Don't jump into solo desert exploring inexperienced, go on lots of trips with old hands first to get the hang of it. Be in good health, or become so. Be in tune to your body, at the first sign of heat related problems, stop, find shade, cool off, drive out if need be. If you're friendless, there's lots of places with group campsites, busy

4-wheel runs and easy dayhikes to practice. Especially practice sand driving if you're going into sandy country; learn how to read sand and judge what's too soft by walking on it. Getting stuck in sand is surprisingly easy, and it changes with moisture content. There's outfits that offer wheelin' classes which get into winching, self extraction, steepness and off camber limits, etc., get a feel for such things and then don't approach the limits when soloing.

-----------------------------

And NEVER, NEVER go out into the desert alone when you have wheelin' friends available . With several rigs, the risk drops substantially, you can go off the beaten path, tackle knarley trails and/or go really deep into the wilderness safely, relax a lot more and have ten times the fun. If you're a solitude nut, wheel a half mile in any direction from the group camp, and you've got plenty!

Reply to
Mark

That was some great advice. We actually did go out to Joshua Tree last night. We didn't have any problems until after dark, and we got hung on an rock in the middle of soft sand. That was a nightmare. I didn't get home tell 4:00am last night, but it was still a blast.

Chris Maness

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well, I wouldn't probably go out into the desert during the summer alone.

Reply to
Chris

Really? Stuck rig is a death sentence in hot weather? How about just sittin' it out for a few days (assuming you have lots of water) until a passerby, or Search and Rescue (assuming you filed a trip plan) finds you? You could pass the time attempting to become unstuck.

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

For pete's sake Bill, no doubt people die under the circumstances you've described. But the road is paved -- and someone paved it. Before that, a bunch of brave souls crossed it when there was no road at all. Our troops spend all day, day after day, working their butts off in worse conditions.

This k> He went to Joshua Tree, that's in Mojave desert next to Death

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens