High Setting on Blower Doesn't Work (97 Jeep)

x-no-archive: yes

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5, standard transmission, no air conditioning.

For about two years now, the highest setting on my heater (fan) blower does not work. The other three settings work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks KL

Reply to
Anonymous

The fans in the YJ have a resistor circuit hidden in the fan ducting and I would suspect that you have a problem with the wiring or the resistor coils. To test this theory connect the fan lead to a 12V feed right from the battery and see if you get full speed from the fan if so you need to inspect the resistor coil. To get at it remove the housing just below the passenger side speaker and take a look up inside the housing or just wire your fan to a 12v source and live with high speed all the time.

Reply to
Jeepster_2

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Sorry what I said earlier may not apply to your vehicle I sped read the post and my mind saw 87 Wrangler when you of course were looking for info on your 97 Wrangler.

Reply to
Jeepster

Actually, you right. It is the resistor unit. On a 97 TJ, it's located just to the right of the evaporator. There's this thingie with 2 screws holding it on and an alectrical plug going to it. Most of the time, passengers kick the plug accidentally and cause a loose connection in one of the wires. On my TJ, setting 3 didnt work. If I wriggled the wires, it cured the problem temporarily.

What I actually needed to do was to remove the resistor unit and clean it out. It gets clogged with dirt and rust. Give it a thorough cleaning, and it should be fine.

-Oliver

97 TJ
Reply to
Oliver

There is a TSB out on that problem I believe.

There is an issue with the ground on the dash coming loose causing the heater fan not to work on high. The fix is to drill and tap the dash for a better bolt to hold the ground on.

Mike

" snipped-for-privacy@m>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sometimes my 97 TJ high speed works too good...

It doesn't turn off even when the jeep is turned off. I think there is a separate relay for high speed that is sticking. It eventually hangs up. It usually happens a the worst time (when I am in a hurry).

Reply to
GP-TJ