Hilift jack questions -- don't flame me, yes it's dangerous

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I recently was in a logged area and did the same. I came down hard enough to crack my frame on the stump. We jacked under the frame to clear the stump top and used a winch for a corner pull to get me off.

Even in clear cut they leave stumps..... Stumps are pretty good winch anchors. So is a crow bar pounded into the ground So are other Jeeps. A hand winch like a come-A-long works well in the woods and is relatively safe to use. It is also the same price or cheaper than a high lift.

Or wheel alone with a high lift or better the original one, a Jack-All and make sure your life insurance is paid up to date.....

I mean really, the first rule is to never wheel alone, but hey who am I to preach about that. LOL! Looks like we are doing a 5 day deep bush New Years run solo this year....

I have a hydraulic floor jack, a hand cable winch or come-A-long, two

3"x 20 or 30' snatch straps and a Warn HS9000i winch on front with 125' I think of cable. And a shovel. And really hoping I need none of the above... ;-)

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If somebody bought you a XXL tshirt, and you normally wear an L, would you put on a few pounds, or exchange it for one that fits?

Here we have a HiLift that is the equivelent of a XXL where the L is a better choice. I say exchange it for the right size.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm with her. Exchange it. Use the refund, if any, to get yourself an accessory for the jack, like a foot for use in soft soil. The last thing you want is for your jack to sink as fast as it is lifting your Jeep.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That would make somebody feel good? Sheesh!.

You said you never exchange stuff because it makes the giver feel bad. But, you would forward an oversize shirt to Goodwill. That makes lots of sense, Bill. And, in the instance we are talking about, the giver is the spouse of the guy that you are suggesting you jetison the gift to the Goodwill. She'll never notice the oversize jack is gone. Yeah, right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I exchanged it last week and am going to pick up the new one tomorrow.

Reply to
Eric

Excellent choice. It beats giving it to Goodwill, as Bill suggested.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Actually, they had sold it out from under me, and instead of driving all the way to their store again I had it shipped to my house. Just got it tonight. Tomorrow I'll mount it in the Jeep... we'll see how it goes!

Reply to
Eric