Hilift jack questions -- don't flame me, yes it's dangerous

Reply to
twaldron

Naah, Windy only got the bigger one because it was only a couple of dollars more. I just feel bad exchanging it. She said "go exchange it!".

Reply to
Eric

If I had a roofrack, I'd look at that as an option. But I'm not putting on on my TJ...

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, folks can't just say the things are a 'must have'. Others actually believe some of the BS they read here.

They need to know the 'high lift' is one of the most deadly accessories you can have on a Jeep.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

It's the several thousand pound of wobbly jeep suspended by a stick resting on a few square inches of shifting ground, that's deadly.

The only thing deadly about a highlift is using it as a sole means of support to work under a vehicle without any jackstands or at least the spare tire under either the frame or the axle. You may get squished but with something to take the load you won't get squished flat.

They make larger feet for the highlift to help with dirt/mud/etc. But still I'd rather have my floor jack and jackstands.

Reply to
DougW

I'm sure a big wooden block to bolt it on to would make it much more stable.

Reply to
Dave Milne

No, the jack itself it just plain unstable and will jack itself down, collapse down all in one shot and be just be plain nasty to be around.

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have set a 40 inch on a 12x12 plate and sunk it completely into the mud, I don't know if a 60 would have hit bottom. Still, I have use it many times to put stuff under the wheels, and it makes me a bit apprehensive. A few bits of channel welded under the bumpers (also channel iron) and steel rocker plates give it some non-slip attachment points, but I can't think of any scenario where i would choose to use it for a tire change.

I still haven't figured out how to keep it both greased and clean.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike...do you have a hilft in ur Jeep?? I'm jus curious... and yes they are dangerous, John Cranfield is a dear friend of mine with whom I wheel often...but I'll be damned if I'm gonna leave the Jeep miles into a trail cause I can't get myself off a high centered rock, when with a hilift I'd be on my way in no time...I just can't afford new Jeep, skids, lift, tires, WINCH all in one year...

Reply to
Jeff

No I don't carry a high lift or the original Jack All. I have been around them all my life though.

I carry a small hydraulic floor jack that tucks in behind the passenger seat solid and a hand cable winch or Come-A-Long. The floor jack is quite good at getting a tire up so I can stuff a rock or tree under it if the winch can't reach anything.

I also have a Warn HS9000i on the front.

Both times I had to walk out, a bigger jack wouldn't have helped.... The Warn would have worked on one though but I didn't have it then....

Mike

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

or her in a large glass baking dish, buttocks up. Tie with butcher string around and across so that he looks like he?s crawling. Glaze, then arrange pineapples and secure with cloves. Bake uncovered in 350° oven till thermometer reaches 160°.

Cajun Babies

Just like crabs or crawfish, babies are boiled alive! You don?t need silverware, the hot spicy meat comes off in your hands.

6 live babies 1 lb. smoked sausage 4 lemons whole garlic 2 lb. new potatoes 4 ears corn 1 box salt crab boil

Bring 3 gallons of water to a boil. Add sausage, salt, crab boil, lemons and garlic. Drop potatoes in, boil for 4 minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh. Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack. Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index) Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed Onions, bell pepper, celery ½ cup wine Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you will need one for the top also). Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones. Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth. Brown the onions, peppers and celery. Add the meat then season, continue browning. De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth. Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy, reduce oven to 325. Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned

Reply to
Mike Romain

place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned ½ cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato ½ stick butter

1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offs

Reply to
Jeff

how high a bottle jack can ya get?? I was stuck once before the hilift and all I had was the stock bottle jack which was useless...

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

honestly Bill, I'm not trying to be a smartass what so ever... I was up on one of John Cranfields trails, stuck on a stump in ruts and couldn't get a bottle jack under the axle and under the bumper wouldn't get the axle off the ground.... I know had I had a Hilift I woulda been on my way...and even if I had a winch I was in a clearcut and the nearest tree was hundreds of feet away...I finally resorted in calling John, askin' him to bring ol' Muddy out fer another Jeep rescue...

Reply to
Jeff