Hilift jack questions -- don't flame me, yes it's dangerous

Santa just brought me a Hilift jack for an early Christmas present. If that gives you the urge to tell me how dangerous they are and how many people have died and how I should throw it away, please reference the subject of the post. I am well aware of it's uses as well as what not to do. Those of you still with me...

I got the 60" version, but think that's a bit overkill for my TJ. I believe the 48" would be more than sufficient, but am not sure. Thoughts? Also, where should I mount it? I've seen a number of websites on it, and everyone thinks their idea was the best. What have people here done? I don't think I'll leave it permanently mounted as that'll just tempt thieves. Probably just secure it for days I'm wheeling.

Relevant facts: 99 TJ, soft top, no aftermarket bumpers, no winch, may be buying tirecarrier soon...

Thanks!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

I agree, the 60" is a bit much. The good news is, the 48" is cheaper, so you can exchange it and get the mounting blocks with the refund.

If you are sure that you will only use it on Wheeling Days, then get a couple of u-bolts or giant hose clamps, and strap it to the roll bar. Take care to mount it so you won't slam your head into it.

Thoughts? Also,

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's what I figured, but my wife said the 60" was only a couple of dollars more than the 48" version.. said that's why she got it. Any pics of someone mounting it as you suggested? Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I forgot to mention I have a 4" lift w/33s. Don't know if that makes the 60" more reasonable or not.

Reply to
Eric

I have the 48" mounted to the roll bars just inches below the top of the passenger's rear seat. No one hit their heads on it that way. I have it mounted with some parts from the fencing isle of the hardware store, and then used some bicycle inner tubes to make sure the hardware cinches down tight, and to protect the bars from getting scratched. I have to admit mine has been mounted for 3 years now, and not once have I removed it for any reason.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I just found a site describing that type of mount. Doesn't look like the

60" will fit there (although that would be perfect). I may just take the 60" back and get the 48". Although I'd like to have the extra length "just in case"... I checked (it's freezing outside and rather dark) and it doesn't look like it'd fit even if I took the base and the top off.
Reply to
Eric

I've moved it three times now -- once from the shed where she had my step-dad hide it from me to the house, another from the living room to a closet (my son was tripping over it... 2 year olds..), and again to check it out in the back of my Jeep. That thing is HUGE. Thought that was just my initial impression.. no, it really is.

Hmmm... I just hate to return a gift my wife bought me. I always feel bad. The fog lights she bought me came with a wiring kit that I could only use 3 of the original wires... had to make the rest of them myself to get it to work. She felt bad.

Reply to
Eric
60" is way excessive, just use a hacksaw to cut it down to 48".

Jerry

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

what i did on my 90YJ was set the jack inside my "bumperett" passenger side, with the jacking arm to the inside, run a 3.5 inch bolt up through my bumper to secure the bottom plate of the jack, bolt then big rubber washer, then opened my rear door and drilled a hole for another bolt, through the top hinge, tightened it doun with two nuts to get the spacing right, then heated and bent the bolt to straighten it out with the body, this one goes through the holes in the jack, along with washers and rubber washers, than a wing-nut, to tighten it up, then i drilled a hole in the bolt, for a small lock, greased the lock and keyhole, and all the pins on the jack heavily, sliced a tennis-ball and cramed it over the top, i have the 48inch jack, store the handle and tools under the back seat, been there two monthes, no rattling, bouncing, and NO i cant open my rear door very far about 12 inches,,, but thats all i need, and yes the bumperetts will come off some day, and yes the lock is puny, but it keps honest people from getting to enticed, and a hammer or hacksaw would set off my alarm system or get the dog realy peeeOed, but for now it works for me, and is out of the way,

johnp

Eric wrote:

present. If

cheaper, so

Reply to
scopenutt

Insider information has it that I'll be getting a Hi-Lift Jack also. It will be mounted on a XJ. I'm thinking of mounting it to the aftermarket roof rack. What do you think?

Reply to
Norm & Debbie

I used someones HiLift as a prybar at jeep jamboree this year, an extra

12" would of helped, don't know if this is worth keeping it instead of the 48, but a thought anyway.
Reply to
Greg

great topic guys! I'm gettin' one aswell...lol I think I like the mounting from the link Bill posted except I have the fog lights on my TJ...it definately has to be easy accessable, my buddy has lent me one and it has got me out of more jams than u could imagine...lifting the TJ up and off rocks is it's most common use...it's a must have on any Jeep!

Reply to
Jeff

it's a must have on any Jeep!

No it's a must have on any farm and is more commonly known as a 'Widow Maker'.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The extra 12" of jack will never hurt, but storing it is problematic because it is simply too long to put anywhere. When you get around to buying a new spare tire carrier, there are brands that will let you carry a HiLift in a verticle position, and then a 60" jack will be OK. But if you want to carry it horizontally, 60" will be difficult to find a spot for. I have a 48" HiLift on my CJ5, and it is wider than the tub by about an inch or two. I carry it on my spare tire rack horizontally. If I mounted my jack to the roll cage, I don't think I could use a top. (I don't have a top, so I don't really care.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

First, SHE ought not feel bad because the entire point of having a Jeep to hang stuff on is modifying the stuff to get it to fit.

You ought not feel bad because the entire point of having a Jeep to hang stuff on is modifying the stuff to get it to fit. Sometimes taking it back for another item is the only suitable modification that can be made.

You should look at it like this. You want something, she wants you to have it. She forks over a C Note so you can have your stuff, and she might even take a stab at getting the right stuff on the first try. If she misses, she still has a C Note invested in project, and you simple exchange A for B, and hope you don't have to take it back for C. In the end, you want something, and she gets it for you, even if it doesn't work out cleanly. And, remember that half the fun is fabricating and modifying, so the fact that you needed another 100 ft roll of wire to complete the project is all part of the fun.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's alot cleaner to just exchange it for a 48" jack. Buy a soft-soil foot with the refund.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You aint Jeeping right if you haven't taken the HiLift out of its bracket. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The only place that 60 will fit is on the tire rack, and it must be mounted vertically to fit there.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III