Corolla hood not closing

I have 1998 toyota corolla around 91000 miles on it. Last few months when I open hood to check oil dip stick I have hard time closing it. It stays open around an inch or so. After a few attemps the hood will close. Any idea what might be wrong?

Reply to
c_shah

Pop-N-Fresh

I had a similar prob on my 95 corolla. I eventually took it to a mechanic and he fixed it for 30$. The latch kept getting stuck. I tried putting oil on it but it still would not close.

Reply to
slatt333

I did put a plenty of white lithium grease. It is still not helping. I will have to take my car to mechanic. Thanks!

Reply to
c_shah

There should be 2 bumpers that support the corners of the hood. Lower them about 1/2 turn clockwise.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, are you thinking that the bumpers are so 'tight' that they're not allowing the hood to go down far enough to allow the latch to 'catch'?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Yes.

If that doesn't work, then the hood latch may need adjustment.

I've seen people fiddle by twisting the bumpers, putting them out of adjustment. The hood latch is less likely to get out of adjustment so I recommend checking the bumpers first.

Reply to
Ray O

i had a similar problem with my Corolla wagon. the cable that releases the hood was sticking. i flipped the hood release lever from the passenger compartment a few times and that set the cable straight.

you may want to give this a try

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Open the hood and look at the latch. On the rear of the latch there will be a rectangular piece of metal that the spring is attached to. Push this down. (From the top! It will SNAP! back into place!) I'll bet you here a "SPROINNNNNG!" and the latch will open.

Grease this (or oil it, whatever...DON'T use WD-40!!!!) and grease the spring, too.

While you're at it, spray some lubricant down the cable, just for good measure!

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku