How much oil?

Greetings fellow Jeepsters:

I just changed oil on my 1995 GC Laredo. (First time ever!) I also changed the Fram air filter and oil filter. the experience was satisfying. Here are my questions:

  1. I put in 5-qt of that Castro Syntex(sp?) High Mileage but when I checked the dip stick, it seems low? how much oil can a Jeep GC Laredo take??
  2. Does Walmart accept used oil?

  1. Yeah, I put in that Chevron fuel injection cleaner thing. I know..it's for psychological effect.

That wasn't really a question I guess.

Thanks,

John. NJ

Reply to
John

Contrats! You are now on the way to a very expensive hobby of fixing things and putting on lift kits, lockers, and other Jeep related ways to drop great wads of cash. But you save doing it yourself. ;)

That depends on the engine. The 4.0l I6 takes 6 quarts. Always add oil after the engine has been sitting for a while. That way the dipstick reads correctly.

Next time you change, put in regular motor oil, not the "high milage" stuff. The only reason to use that is if your burning some oil. Won't hurt anything to leave it in till your next change.

My prefrence is for Castrol Syntec, Synthetic blend. Or 3 quarts regular dino oil and 3 quarts synthetic. After all, that's what a blend is. ;)

Call and ask, some do, some don't. Places like PepBoys also take oil and most cities have a vehicle maintenance yard that will take oil as well.

Nope. It does help to keep the injectors clean. I run a bottle of it or STP about twice a year.

Reply to
DougW

evbeergoggles.com

I ended up spending more, for the oil filter wrench, the oil pan, the

5-qt Castro was like 14.95. Walmart charges 19.95 per oil change but from now on, I'm gonna do it myself! (actually, the saw a little oil on my jeep when I brought it in and they were like "according to policy, we cannot change your oil" )

Thanks.

-John.

Reply to
John

Don't get suckered by "cheap"! Use a good filter (Wix, Puralator, etc.) and pick a brand of oil then stay with it. I still use plain old dino and change it at 4,00 miles or 6 months or when it's down a quart - whichever comes first to account for changes in what I'm doing. At 200K on an '88

4.0L six, that seems to work for me. For the spin-on filters, be sure to rub a good film of oil on the rubber gasket before you crank it on and don't get carried away twisting it down.

On huge advantage of doing your own is the chance to look at the greasy side every so often - you'll be surprised how many things you catch before they get expensive. Even my daughter does her own oil changes ;)

Reply to
Will Honea

WallyWorld synth is good stuff (Warren Manufacturing)

Actually one reason to use the high-milage is go get the anti-friction package that older engine designs require (Flat tappet Inline 6) Forget API SM, it will kill your cam. Look for an ACEA A1(Good) rating or A3 (Best) Not A5.

They do when you leave it in a cart in the lot outside the oil change bay ;-)

Reply to
jeff

Nice!

Reply to
John

What oil brand has A3 rating? also, I used Fram Air/oil filter, is that a good brand?

John NJ

Reply to
John

No No NO ... IMHO Wix is great and I believe that NAPA Gold is also a Wix filter.... I stopped getting the oil change done at WalMart when they stopped doing "customer supplied" work. Also most cheap oil change chains use Fram ( cheap ) filters... not good. Pay the extra and get a good filter!

Reply to
AJ

wow.anyone else wants to second that?

-John

Reply to
John

I use the NAPA Gold also but my Walmart will still use my supplied oil filter and give me a credit for their filter (Fram). And I like to watch the oil changes guy walk in to the store and grab my 6 qts. of Mobil 1 right off the shelf. No bulk mystery oil for me. :-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Second it! Too many problems with Fram filters and the cheap construction - google this newsgroup for "Fram filters" and you'll see a litany of reports over the years.

Wix is good. I use Puralator myself as they are more commonly available. An extra buck or so is a fair price to pay for confidence.

Reply to
Will Honea

I'll second it. OBM (On Board Mechanic) will only use WIX or NAPA Gold. If my OBM says that's the right stuff, then that's the right stuff.

K.

wow.anyone else wants to second that?

-John

Reply to
Kate

My JK oil change interval is 6K ! My Liberty was 3K so if triple the cost of the filter it raises the cost about $.20 per 100 miles. Oil and filters are not a good place to try to save money. Good oil ; no snake oil added ; good filters are the best thing you can do for your ride!

Reply to
AJ

I just bought a NAPA GoldFilter not two hours ago. Their filters are indeed made by Wix, and have the same part number, minus the first digit.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Yep.

I either use NAPA Gold or PureOne.

Used to use Fram in my C-10 till the local shop pointed out it was the reason the lifters were ticking. Didn't believe it till I heard it.

Now I do use Fram air filters, they seem well built and the air intake is free of dust. Just got to replace them regularly like any filter.

Reply to
DougW

CarQuest is also Wix.

Reply to
PeterD

Right. It pays to be a little more picky about the oil filter.

Reply to
Dale Beckett

Still waiting to know what engine you have. I have been using Mobile 1 High Milage (ACEA A3) since my Rubi was at 3000 miles. There are others, such as WallyWorld's house brand. I use Motorcraft FL-1A or the Wix equivalent filters. (Smaller micron rating, less back pressure, better flow rating, more filter area, adds about a half of quart of capacity)

Reply to
jeff

I have "straight v6" ?

Whatever that means.