I got it (Jeep, that is)

Thanks for the previous replies to my questions. I'm now the owner of a 1997 (facelift) Cherokee 60th anniversary Ltd, 2 owners from new, and 52k miles (50k by the first owner, 2nd owner had it 1 month). It has full main agent service history and I spoke with the main previous owner, a kind gentleman who told me everything that had gone wrong or been replaced during his ownership, which was nothing! That probably means that all the usual stuff like alternators and compressors will go shortly and be down to me :(

The sales blurb stated that it had heated seats, but I see no mention in the owners manual, nor any switches, so is this likely to have been untrue? All electric things like seats/windows/mirrors work fine, and it has aircon (working) and cruise control (yet to be tested...)

I had to leave the ignition on accessories position for a couple of hours since the radio lost it's code (another thing the previous owner knew from memory). He also had two complete sets of keys and keyless fobs, both working, which I guess is a bonus...

It pulls like a horse. Towbar is being fitted on Tuesday then I'll see what it's like with an 1800kg trailer on the back.

Oil pressure is over 3 bar when cold and about 2 bar when hot - I assume that's about right? All fluids are clear (oil and transmission fluid).

Quite happy at the moment, although I'll miss the Landrover 110.

Reply to
Danny

Glad you like it. I think you should have kept the 110 if you wanted to pull

2 ton around though. Make sure the tail doesn't wag the dog...

Dave Milne

Yes, it's a bit close. Mind you, the 110 weighs 1862kg and the Jeep weighs 1535kg. If it seems too light I can stow the water containers in the boot of the Jeep, which will add 80-100kgs to the vehicle (when full).

I could do with those deflectors that lorries have - the front of the trailer is 7'6" square, and the Jeep has a maximum frontal area of

64sq feet, I believe, so I would like to find a way of softening the wind resistance.

The landrover was soon to be in need of lots of work - new fuel lines, brake lines and all rubbers. And probably a new set of carbs. That lot would be £600-£800 at least, plus the time it's off the road. The consumption was down to nearly single figures too. The Jeep should manage at least a bit better than that, I hope.

My daily trip with the trailer is along two small sections of motorway for 3-4 miles, which I can do in the n/s lane at 50-55mph without annoying anyone else (5:30 am). I don't do events that are miles away any more.

Reply to
Danny