I'm on Mountain Time!

Well, we went and did it! Quit our jobs, packed up a moving truck and moved all our worldly belongings to Colorado.

I wish is was a spontaneous as that sounds... But in reality this is the result of two years of planning, and about twelve years of wanting. I've wanted to live in CO since I was a teen... I visited a relative who lived here and ever since then I have felt I was born in the wrong place.

So we did it. With no jobs waiting for us, we came here a month ago and found an apartment so we'd have a place for our stuff. I had confidence from web searches that my wife would easily find a job, and I'd be able to find something on a temp-to-hire basis. We've been here for two weeks and I've had a job (that I start on the third) for over a week!! The wife has a couple interviews tomorrow and I'm sure she'll have her pick of jobs by next week.

It's amazing how easy it's been... The apartment was easy to find, is larger and cheaper than what we had in Illinois and WAY better amenities. The move went flawlessly. I have to recommend the trucking company ABF as an alternative to Ryder, Uhaul and the rest. If you are planning a big move and you have an ABF depot near you, check them out. We saved money and stress. Anyway, I was talking about how things are happening way easily... I went in for one interview and had a job within 6 hours!

Needless to say, the mountains are beautiful. The weather has been incredible. 65-70 the first two days followed by 6" of snow and then back to

70s. We're getting about 8" tonight and tomorrow which is GREAT cause I'm headin' out to ski on Sunday. I'm slowly building a network of Jeepers to show me around this year... Beautifully built Jeeps everywhere I look. It's like I've arrived in Mecca. I've stopped "Jeep waving" for fear that my arm will fall off!

Folks, Life is short. If you aren't living your dreams, what ARE you doing? n.

PS To avoid possible suspicions, my name is still Nathan, but Qwest is my new ISP. I have no idea what my tags or headers or whatever might say. Qwest is what my apartment complex uses...satellite, can you believe it?! I'm lobbying for them to change to Comcast cable cause, by and large, Qwest sucks. So if I suddenly change ISPs, don't say I didn't warn you.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Fantastic!!!! Great to hear it.

Here's a board that might help you out.

One day I'd like to get out that way. One of my all time favorite movies is Jeremiah Johnson.

What city did you land in?

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Thanks, Bill.

I've been over to CO4x4 a couple times. That's where most my contact has come from. We decided on Parker because of job availability. I think we'd like CO Springs more, but this is where the jobs are so this is where we are for now. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Great move, Nathan! I early retired from a corporate job with Ford Motor and came to Durango in '00. It was the realization of a 30 year old goal.

As a fellow native flatlander (Northwest Indiana) I first came West in 1970 for the entire summer, along with my hippie girlfriend and my best buddy & his girl. We spent the summer in his new Blazer 4x4 exploring and camping around western New Mexico, eastern Arizona, then we finally ended up in Durango. My girlfriend and I fell in love with the area and wanted to sell everything back home and move here, but we very stupidly rationalized ourselves out of it. I ended up in New Mexico a few years later and loved it, started college and ended up moving to Texas (Lord!) to finish my degree. I went to work for VW of America, got moved to Denver in '84 and thought "This is IT, no more moves!!!" Well, two years later I got recruited by Jaguar and ended up in ....NEW JERSEY! I was like a caged animal the whole time I was there. I finally bought a little place in Durango in '95, where I vacationed nearly every year, and made a plan to be here in five years. I pulled it off and haven't looked back.

Now that you've made the move, enjoy every minute of this magic place. Take my hard learned advice, NEVER entertain moving away for money, you can always find a way to make it here. I wasted 14 years living in a place I hated, pining away for the mountains. Now that I'm "home", every once in awhile I take a look around and just nerarly faint from the realization: "look where the Hell I live!"

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Just remember " Mile High Jeep" on 7th and Federal, and BJ's on about 11th ave just west of Sheridan, and Jimmy at Edgewater Jeep just east of Sheridan on 44th ave.

Have a blast.

JT LV,NV

Reply to
Fennidh

Good Luck Nathan! Pick up a copy of Back Country Adentures on Colorado and go ghost town huntin'!

Reply to
Norm & Debbie

Ya! That would be a cool thing to do. Check out this website for more info on Ghost towns.

Cheers Frank

Norm & Debbie wrote:

Reply to
FrankW

Hey! Don't leave us Texans out!! You have to hate both, equally. :)

C> Good luck. Pretend you hate Californians and you'll fit right in. > ;-)

Reply to
twaldron

Frank, Thanks for the link!

Norm

Reply to
Norm & Debbie

Pretend? PRETEND??? We don't do no stinkin' PRETENDING around here!!!!!

Reply to
Jerry McG

No, now that the Californicater developers have trashed the State we're starting to rethink our traditional hatred of Texans...a little.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Hey, great link, thanks!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Thanks for those, JT. I'll this message away in case I need them. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Thanks! They're already on the way :-) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Welcome.... after growing up in WI I can't imagine a better place to be... great weather.. mountains, camping, jeepin....

If you ever come out to Grand Junction let me know. Although my Jeep is presently half torn apart and likely won't be back on the raod till at least fall.

Reply to
Kevin S.

I agree with everything you said here, Jerry. My family hasn't asked me, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to tell them that we're not coming back. We can't see a time when we'll want to. In fact, I'd like to get my folks out here... but they're pretty set in their ways. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
twaldron