Towing 4 down

Can a 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Wrangler with automatic trans be towed 4 down like the older Jeeps? I am aware of putting the transfer case in neutral and the trans in park with steering unlocked. Thanks Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

Yes it can. And, you do it just like you think, tcase in N and trans in P, with the steering unlocked.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What does it say in the owner's manual?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Yes. I have an 05 rubicon (not unlimited). Tcase in neutral and trans in park. Ebrake off. Key turned just one click in. I wonder if the key has to be done, as I can turn the wheel with ot without the key in. Maybe it is to log the miles being pulled.

Reply to
nawt2smart

You shouldn't be able to turn the wheel without the key in. Yes, you aren't supposed to tow with the wheel locked. It will break stuff.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

No. It is to allow the steering wheel to turn. If you can remove the key and still turn the wheel, then you get a bonus because you can lock the cab while you are under way -- this allows you to forget about your Jeep if you decide to park somewhere.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My '93 ZJ can turn the steering wheel without the keys too, for half to three quarters of a turn. Then it locks. Have you actually gone lock-to-lock without the keys?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Never flat tow a car with the key out of run. The wheels can lock and be ground flat (or worse, push your rear end out and jacknife you)

I'm not aware of any vehicle under twenty years old that does not have a steering lock. Just turn the wheel full left/right then remove the key. It should lock.

Reply to
DougW

I have gone a full turn one way, but it is difficult and I don't want to bend a tie rod or whatever under there. Makes me think my lock is broken. Have to check it out. FWIW, I leave the key in with one click in when flat towing.

Reply to
nawt2smart

You are correct, 1.5 turns to the left and it locked. Glad I didn't try it without the keys. FUBAR!

Reply to
nawt2smart

If your worried about someone stealing the car, simply pull the ESD or fuel pump relay (or main fuse) and put it in your tow vehicle. I do this all the time when leaving the ZJ at an airport parking lot.

Reply to
DougW

I checked and was surprised under towing a disabled vehicle it wants all 4 up. This got me confused and wondering. I looked again after your reply and found what was called recreational towing and 4 down is fine just transfer in neutral, trans in park and unlocked steering. Thanks for the reply the manual is what got me confused. Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

If you have 2 keys you can leave one key in the ignition and keep it locked. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Ummm... I never said that I towed my Jeep, just that my steering does indeed lock somewhere during it's travel.

Reply to
SBlackfoot