Jeep 97 TJ Radio Replacement

Hi there!

The standard factory-installed radio in my 97TJ has just quit working, and connections are found to ok.

Need to replace the unit...

Anyone tried or have an opinion on the Alpine mp3/radios re. dust/moisture resistance compared to the original? Would love to have the mp3 option, but do not want the unit to fail in a year or so.

Thanks! Tom Hamp Calgary, Alberta

Reply to
Tom Hamp

Weather Proof

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Thanks Harry! Guess I should look at marine radios!

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom Hamp

Hello again all...

Thanks to all who responded with help on my original question re. a weatherproof-dustproof replacement radio for the TJ97 original radio.

Looked into the JBL which was great, but could not get locally. Went with something that might interest others:

Standard Alpine deck with MP3, which will be installed in a marine radio box which has a flip-down front cover to protect the electronics (approx. $70).

Hopefully it will all fit into the dash...will try to update on how this went.

Regards Tom

Reply to
Tom Hamp

Well folks, Thanks for all your help...

Opted to go custom with an Alpine Head Unit (mp3 capable and aux in for ipod...works great!

This was installed in the dash to replace the original failed unit, using a marine cover...this is a smoky plastic cover that slides/rotates down to cover the Alpine and protects the unit from road dust (a major problem in the country) and rain. Does not protect the rear of the unit from rain going into the dash from the top however.

Very nice installation - the marine cover can be obtained at most marine stores for about $50US, and the custom installation ran about $130US on top of that.

BTW, the unit's optical remote works through the cover just fine, so really no need to ever have the cover open except to insert CD's.

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom Hamp