Jeep in water - now transmission will not work

The strange rubbing noise should be the through-out bearing. Mud water must have entered the races, and you should replace it. Even if it quiets down after a while, it will wear out prematurely and if it fails it can cause much greater damage.

I wouldn't worry about rust formation inside the transmission. The oil protects all parts inside, even if it is contaminated with water and has become to a white foam. The only thing that could happen with water contamination, is corrosion of the aluminum case, and that usually happens with salt water or if water has been inside the tranny for a long time.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '96 XJ, '06 TJ.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Wah wah, wah, such a cry baby. Did someone take away your bottle? Again you trolls really have problems with cause and effect in the automotive world and it shows.

tisk, tisk, such a whiner

No dribble is you drooling as you get excited thinking you are succeding in your quest but you are only succeeding in belittleing yourself but as a Troll you are not bright enough to realize this. So sad....

Wah, wah wah, you must be so insecure. Keep it up as it is fun to watch you make a fool of yourself!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The reason you popped it out off rails is because it was bound up from rust and you forced it out. The noise is likely from bearing damage. It may run for a while but I would be looking for a replacement. You should have a BA 10/5 which is not a great tranny to begin with and is considered a LD unit. Starting in mid 89 they switched to/used a AX15 by Asian due to issues with BA 10/5. Up untill 86 they used a T5. (87 to 89 were the bastard BA 10/5 years) A T5 has same input and output splines as a AX15 and the BA 10/5 has same input spline as them but could have either a 21 spline output or 23 spline output (23 is shared with T5 and AX15) Swap to a T5 or AX15 makes a lot of sense even if your tranny was cherry because a BA 10/5 has gear ratios of 3.39,

2.33, 1.44, 1.00 and 0.79 (not sure about rev) and T5 has 4.03, 2.37, 1.50, 1.00, 0.86 and a rev of 3.76. The AX15 has 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79 and rev of 4.22. The T5 has a 19% deeper first gear and a OD less "tall" and the AX15 has a 13% deeper first gear. Overall the AX15 is a better choice because it has a deeper reverse gear than BA 10/5 and T5 (which is always nice to have) and same OD as you have now and is considered a MD tranny too. AX15 was used thru 2000 when it was replaced by a NV3550 which is a NV3500 in a design configuration that it is a direct bolt in replacement for a AX15. (NV3500 is not) Also T5 is considered LD too but faired better than BA 10/5.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Saludos,

El Señor Mercurio, El Gringo Loco

Reply to
Earle Horton

The BA 10/5 you have uses aluminum synchros (Yeah, really!) and they will squeal like a stuck pig if they get dry or galled. You may have pitted them a little with the creek water. On mine, the squeal quickly became a death rattle but that was because the front bearing was on its way out and the splash washer was contacting the counter gear - the tolerance is really tight in there! And for all the BS being slung here, it is pretty easy to get the reverse rail out of position to lock it up like you describe - BTDT. One trick is to pull the fill plug and use a long screwdriver to reposition the rail, but it's about as easy to just pull the cover.

Make sure the twoer bolts are snug but don't over tighten them - I had to tap the holes oversize when the threads stripped on mine just after I got it. Either the bolts weren't tight or someone munged the threads but the front bolts backed out on me. Now THAT makes shifting a challenge .

Reply to
Will Honea

I coulda SWORN I had Bill and his "friends" filtered... ..oh, wait, nevermind... these guys ain't them.

They're just *annoying* like them! :-/

noneofyourbusiness

Thanks for the advice but there was no force at all when removing the shift lever and I seriously doubt I had a bad case of rust after a 60 mile drive. That makes no sense. As littl as the rail was off, I may have just stuck the shifter in a little crooked to begin with or may have moved it while tipping it on its side.

The noise may be coming from the throw out bearing, but would that be more noticeable when the clutch is in or out?

Snoman, I would appreciate it if you left this thread because people don't like you man, and I am having a hard time reading between your bickering with others. I don't appreciate that at all. Save it for the threads you start, but please don't hijack mine. Thanks

Reply to
wbowlin

I don't care if you filter me so long as you are including Snoman ;-)

Reply to
Heatwave

This reminds me of a pickup I saw today at the junk yard with a bad trans. No matter what gear it is in you can push it a round. I am sorry I just had to say that. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

It would change, yes. The throwout bearing is "lifetime" lubed with grease. It just sits there with the clutch pedal up, and actually does work with the clutch pedal down. You could probably have relubed it while you had the transmission out, but if it had grease in it that probably (hopefully) kept the water out while you were performing aquatic maneuvers. My advice is to put the cover back on and see if it still seems loud to you. And change the fluid again, until it comes clear (non-milky) out the drain plug. The Peugeot is reputed to be a weak transmission, but hey that depends on driving style too. You may get years more out of yours if you get all the water out.

On the subject of the throwout bearing, it is the notorious one piece internal slave cylinder throwout bearing assembly. It is reputed to be extremely sensitive to contamination, and I doubt that water bath you gave it was a good thing. If you start losing clutch hydraulic fluid, that is why.

You may be interested in this link. I posted it before but I think the TeraNews server has had a post backlog today. Do not click it if easily offended.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I did not hijack anything but if you want to listen to the childern that is your right. Just remember that they do not jump out of rails for not reason at all like this as it is a sign of a bigger problem and ignoring it will not make it go away though some of your advisors would like to think so. You will have a very bad day if it fails again far from home. BTW, the rust if it formed was not from 60 mile drive but rather setting for a week with no oil when drianed because water would have still been clinging to internal parts and water and oil do not mix and why I suggested a flush I did. In future when you get water in a gear box, fluch it quickly and do not let it sit empty.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong and doesn't want to admit it.)___________________________________________________________Snoman these are things YOU wrote. Don't like what YOU wrote? Then YOU should stop posting.

Reply to
Heatwave