Jeep + pop-up

will jeep 4 cyl pull pop-up? 99 jeep 4 cyl 5 speed.

Reply to
Gene Pool

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think the OP might have meant a pop-up camping trailer rather than 'wheelies' ...

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The 4 cyl. may be a problem.

I pull a 5x10' box trailer with my '99 TJ Sport 5sp. At the full rated load of about 2k (similar to many pop-ups), the trailer must be carefully loaded with the proper amount of weight on the tongue, or the tail will wag the dog above 60 MPH. The side area of the box can also make windy days 55 MPH limit days.

Go slow, and take it for a test ride before you commit to a trip. Weigh the camper at a local gravel pit or recycling center, and don't load all kinds of family crap into the camper.

Stopping can be a problem, leave distance and pay attention, especially if it rains.

Go slow!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

WTF are you going on about Bill?

A Wrangler can legally tow 2000 lb here in North America and have about

1000 lb on board to top the GVW.

He is allowed to have 4450 lb on the 4 wheels of the Jeep including tongue weight, 'Plus' the trailer.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sorry Mike but he's right. The 4 banger can only pull 1000 pounds according to my Jeep manual

2000 for the 6 banger and 3500 for the unlimited Cheers Frank

Mike Roma> WTF are you going on about Bill?

Reply to
FrankW

Isn't it amazing what some extra length can do?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Here Jeep say you can tow 4000lb with a *braked* trailer with a Wrangler.

Dave Milne

That would give me nightmares! I'm sure the 6 could pull it and the Jeep + trailer brakes would stop it.

But! When that thing gets swaying... I know what 2000 feels like swaying behind a Wrangler.

Reply to
B a r r y

Ok.....

That is sure strange. Cherokee only makes an auto or standard difference. 2000 lb for a standard and 5000 for an auto.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dave Milne

I've noticed that in Europe they pull good sized trailers with what we would consider is an awfully small and underpowered vehicle. Perhaps we have just been spoiled by growing up with 32 cent/gallon premium gasoline....

Reply to
Billy Ray

Great point.

Here in the US, trailers that size don't typically have tandem axles. European trailers are designed quite differently.

You guys also get those neat little self contained campers that aren't sold here. As a married guy with no kids, I wish I could get one here. I'm always impressed at the utility compared to vehicle size that some non-USA vehicles have.

Don't get me going on small diesels...

Reply to
B a r r y

depends on the pop-up. I've seen this company at Camp Jeep in 02 and 04

Chad Fraker

As a comeback, I think only the new 2.4 is limited to 1000 lb, I think the older 2.5's were still fine to 2000 lb. Likely a weight thing.

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain