XJ hood release cable

OK so it was above freezing to day and the sun was shining, great time to change the oil on my YJ and the wife's XJ.....

Well the XJ's hood release cable came off in my hand --- looked like maybe two strands were just holding on and decided to let go today. Luckily the hood released so it is open. No parts store carries replacements, stealership is closed today and it looks like I can get one for under $15 on the web.

Any tricks/ secrets/ concerns when replacing?

The 'barrel' end is disconnected from the under hood pivot point and the handle,,, well that's on the kitchen table. It looks like I pull the old cable out through the firewall and just slide the new one in..... right?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

I would snake it. That is tie something onto the cable to pull through so it can pull the new one back.

You might be able to grab the cable end with vise grips after you reseat the other end and use it still for one or two more openings if the vehicle has to be driven. Been there, done that.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain