Jeep VS others

same engine. 5.9 liters

360 cubic inches

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

the 318 cubic inch engine is a 5.2 liter.

the 50's 318 was a polyspherical head engine. MUCH different than the current magnum engine and the LA engine before that.

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have had a couple of street runs against a new BMW M3, a friend has one. All The Jeep was able to do vs a M3 is jump in front until about

30mph and then the M3 starts to pass and then just pull away. It is in a different league. The M5 is very similar, if not faster.

As far as an Escalade. I'm putting out more torque than the Caddy and weigh about 2000 lbs less. So Jeep beats the Escalade in any flavor.

griff> On the road, I'd like to see you race a stock BMW M3 or M5. Those M5's are

interesting

Reply to
mighty360

Right! To CRWL out again is the real measure of a 4x4. This is my second Jeep. And unfortunately, at times, I've turned into more of a street Jeep. I've removed the underbody armor for a weight reduction and don't take my sleeper speedy Jeep offroad too much any more.

I miss those days. Maybe I just need to get a CJ and spend some quality time doing the other thing Jeeps are good at.

Reply to
mighty360

I ran across this just the other day.

Megs of a jeep racing a mustang

Reply to
Rusted

Yup, I got absolutely killed by a modified M3. I had about an 1/8 mile headstart around a hairpin turn and lost so bad I still can't believe it. The most amazing aspect of that automobile is despite the fact the road was terrible, at like 80mph he had no problem staying completely on the inside lane. Simply an amazing automobile and definitely my dream car. And ya ...the M5 has alot more balls. Saw the first one in my city today, actually. Wow!

Reply to
griffin

Hmm. That was impressive. I think he was using NOS. But that is a pretty quick 1/4 mile time.

Reply to
Gary Powers

Looks like to me that the Mustang red lighted and didn't give it his all.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same "stock" racing specs ...but I saw an article talking about the new Saturn ION last year that had set a record so high for "stock" run for a sub-$35,000 4door that they didn't think anyone would beat it. It was like 30mph higher than any previous holder or some rediculous # like that. I'll see if I can dig up the article. It was a neat read and surprised the hell out of everyone. I mean ...a Saturn? I'd have thought something like an Acura would have taken it. I wonder what the new Dodge will run at (the SRT4?)

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ah, I meant the type of race you had given a link to. Not sure if the ION was in the same class or rated the same way. I just know for it's class it had beat out all others by a huge margin.

Reply to
griffin

If a Cherokee could win it's class it would be listed as a record hold at:

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Gary Powers proclaimed:

With a suitably modified engine, it isn't that overly heavy. However, I would expect the 4 wheel drive to be a disadvantage since a good launch for drag racing typically involves wheels leaving a bit of expensive rubber behind. Perhaps am wrong, but on a 2wd always got best street starts with a bit of cop alarm squeal.

Or perhaps he has a Grand Cherokee SRT-8, where even the non-SRT version is a bit quicker than a midline Bimmer.

Reply to
Lon

Geoff proclaimed:

A lot of this is due to the startle factor...plus really really good low end torque, typically more than a smaller buzzier motor can generate in that first critical few feet or so.

Reply to
Lon

Make it an endurance race- the krautmobiles will fall to pieces before the Jeep :-p

Escalade = big fat pig. And the 5.9 Magnum with the mods mentioned has "alot" (sic) of power too.

Reply to
Steve

Heh heh heh... here's another sucker for you guys... :-)

Don't forget the setting: 1/8 mile drags. Torque rules, "sports cars" drool.

Reply to
Steve

griffin proclaimed:

More like dry lightning. Smokable by a Grand Cherokee without even working up a sweat. Plus you can always tow 'em home with the Grand after they crap out.

Lotsa power !=fast. Lotsa power + low weight + gearing = fast

Reply to
Lon