Jeep VS others

Can't see it remotely.

Both cars weigh almost exactly 4000lb.

The GC has puts out 245hp from its 5.9 litre V8, and 335 lb/ft torque. It does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds. That's 41 bhp / litre. It has a 4 speed auto.

The M5 puts out 507 hp from its V10 engine, and 383 lb/ft torque. It does 0-62 in 4.7 seconds. That's 100 bhp / litre. It has a 7 speed auto. De-retricted, it will reputedly do almost 205 mph

Dave Milne

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Or 335 hp with 375 lb/ft from 5.7 litre, which if not enough can be also had with a blueprinted 6.01 hemi of 425 hp. And that is without getting into the crate engine upgrades possible.

Could swear even the older grand has a 5 speed with the V8.

Even the hemi versions are restricted to about 115, to help keep alive the doofii unable to tell the difference between an SUV and a Porsche.

As for 0-60 times, they don't always map that well to the 0-30 times where low end torque, gearing, and traction count.

Reply to
Lon

I'd honestly still have to put my money on the M5 ...even the 1/8 mile. I've seen the M-series first hand and have rarely seen any stock vehicle take them except for musclecars. They shift incredibly quickly and stick to the ground very well. See if you can arrange a race with an M5 and lemme know how it goes. I'm really curious!

Reply to
griffin

griffin did pass the time by typing:

Some of the benefits of where I work is a collection of non cash-strapped motorheads and a mile of fenced off dead-end road. :)

I've pitted the ZJ against an M5 and lost. While not as quick as the 240ZX Twin Turbo which smoked my ass even after a five car length head start, the M5 hauls. Honestly I'd love to fit the ZJ with a more current 4 or 5 speed auto.

Of course I challenged my friend to a race over the parking blocks but he forfeited that one. So we called it even. ;)

Reply to
DougW

griffin proclaimed:

OK, all kidding about the impossible task of beating an M5 with anything other than a heavily modified Jeep, sure--if I get to pick the road--or lack thereof.

A Grand is surprisingly quick off the line, but still wondering how to get a truly fast launch without wheel slip.

Reply to
Lon

Lon did pass the time by typing:

.practice. :)

Sticky tires help too. Apart from breaking them loose in a turn or adding a bit of bleach, I could never get the Pirelli Scorpions to smoke.

Reply to
DougW

Any car can beat my 2.5 93 yj, but when the road ends, and the car also....I can keep on going. :) Nick

Reply to
Nick

Unless you're racing on ice, it wouldn't even be a contest. The M5 would be LONG gone, even in a 1/8 mile race.

Reply to
KokomoKid

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Horsepower is irrelevant in a short acceleration contest

At what RPM? (hint: LOW, where it counts, and where the 4-wheel drive can apply it to the asphalt)

Who cares- HP/liter makes good ad copy, but doesn't mean shit in the real world. Otherwise, the Viper wouldn't kick a Ferrari's ass.

irrelevant- see above.

At what RPM? (hint: a hell of a lot higher than the 5.9 hits its torque peak). Stupid high-revving squirrel motors....

Who cares? The race was over at 1/8 mile and well under 70 mph. Of course the Jeep can pull the M5 off the tree that the idiot driving it

200 mph wrapped it around, too.
Reply to
Steve

The hemi puts out that same 335 hp at about 2300-2400 rpm...and that is just the standard hemi.

Reply to
Lon

KokomoKid proclaimed:

Feh. Ice not needed. Good old fashioned snow, sand, wet alkali, or speed bumps are good enough.

Reply to
Lon

Or this one:

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

The only figures I can find for the 1/8 mile for the BMW M5 are 8.227 seconds 87.360 mph. Anyhow, I'm bored of this now.. believe what you will.

Dave Milne

All of this talk and nobody has even mentioned the GC late model 4.7 HO. I've got one that that runs better 0-60 times than my "old" '98 5.9. Have to admit that it seems like some of it might be due to a big difference in the automatic transmissions. The '04 seems to have a much higher RPM stall torque converter which lets come off the line like a rocket ship.

Reply to
Jack Carter

A pissing contest...

DAS