Jeep Wagoneer Stumbling Problem

Ok so heres whats going on... I have an 87 4.0 Wagoneer. It has been sitting outside unused for about a year. I decided to got it out to take a spin in it yesterday, and noticed that it will not rev over about 2,500 RPM. It almost instantly dies. It will also stumble and sputter when I try to accelerate moderately hard. It seems to me as though it's starving for gas... thus leading me to believe the fuel pump has taken a dump. Are my assumptions correct? Or is something else causing the problem? Thanks! Gary

Reply to
waterboy44

Is the fuel a year old as well? I would start with a new fuel filter because that is easier and cheaper and go from there. Seems like fuel pumps either work or they don't work, I have never had one semi work.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well, this isn't the carburated version... I went out and bought a fuel filter today and it made a considerable difference. It seemed better, but it still has a flat spot. It seems like it gets better and it gets worse. Any ideas on that? Haha. Thanks, Gary

Reply to
waterboy44

And no the supposidly bad fuel pump was not the reason it was parked in the first place. It was a bad starter.

Reply to
waterboy44