Leaf spring problem

I have a 1990 Toyota 4x4 xcab. I had the 4 inch lift put on about a year ago, also had it retourqued per warranty after 500 miles. About a month ago I noticed a shimmy upon acceleration. I found the problem to be the driver side leaf spring tie bolts extremely loose. Tightened them and shimmy went away. Great. Now I noticed that the shim between leaf springs and axle on driver side is missing and that the axle is not square to the rear of the truck and I am sure it tracks sideways down the hwy. Question is, how the hell do I realign the rear-end after I get the shim back in or does it automatically line up when I put the leaf springs back together with the pin. Thanks JMach

Reply to
JMach

the leaf that rests on the axle perch should have an alignment pin hole and the perch should have the pin. was your shim inbetween axle perch and 1st leaf ??? always use thread lock on such itemes, this way if you lose items (shim) the nuts can't back themselves out and fall off.....

Reply to
Kryptoknight

You'll need to replace the shim, best to get a pair of steel shims to replace the (most likely) cast aluminum shims that came with the lift:

When the new shims are installed, clamped to the spring pack via the center bolt in the spring pack, the head of which will line up with a hole in the center of the spring perch, all will be fine. Likely the old shim broke at the center hole location, and part of it fell out and that't why the u-bolts got loose in the first place.

Reply to
Roger Brown

After you get the springs fixed, you'll need a 4-wheel "thrust" alignment. The alignment tech puts sensors on the rear wheels, determines the direction of thrust, and aligns the fronts to that finding.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

The lift manufacturer is sending me the parts, they should be in today. When I removed the leaf springs I found a "regular bolt with a nut on it" in place of the "pin" The manufacturer says this should be a pin that came with the lift kit not a home made job. I am hoping that the manufacturer bills the so called 4X4 shop that installed the kit. This 4x4 shop decided to put a different transfer case bracket on instead of the one that came with the kit, they put the stabilizer bar brackets on bass ackwards and I have had 2 of the shock bolts "fall out" They would not take responsibility for there mistakes. Word of mouth does not help this company. Ahh, its nice to vent a little.

Reply to
JMach