Lockright locker!!!

Put a ford 9" in my daughter's 95 YJ , 4.88 gears and a lockright locker, I know, not the strongest, but most she could afford, anyway it lasted for

1/2 a mile, warped the one side gear, so she sent it back, after a couple weeks they sent it back, one new side gear, she put it in last Sat. it lasted till this Sat. sheared the pins off. Now I know they aren't known to be the best lockers, but this is in a YJ with 4cyl engine, first one had no testing off road, I just took it over to get the brakes hooked up after 9" swap, second one she took it up a little 10' bank once and other then that she drove it to school 5 days, it went going around a corner on her way home on Saturday. As for installs, first one was put in when new gears were done by brother-in-law, ford master machanic and severe 4 wheeler, second time it was put in by my neighbour, 55 year old retired machanic/trucker, I have know doubt about either install. So what is going on here, any ideas? They may not replace this one, may say she is using it with too big of tires or to high a horse power, well as I say, it's an 18 year old girl with 31" ATs and a 2.5L.
Reply to
Greg

I have a LockRite with 33's and more engine to boot. Heck, I had no choice but to "eyeball" mine after the shop let me open up the diff and never thought to tell me they didn't have any of the tools:( Either way, I think the problem's painfully obvious. 18 is just Waaaayyyyy too much for that setup. Haha! Jim On a serious note: I can't imagine what the problem could be but it sounds like it's not disengaging (?!?!). Can you hear the "clack, clack, clack" in a sharp turn? === Gotta go to bed. See ya in the morning. ===

Reply to
Drink

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I can testify that the Lock-Right, when properly installed (in a Dana 44,30) works great and takes a lot of abuse. Mine has been in for 4 years. I have no experience with the Ford axles though.

Reply to
JimG

I've heard rumor that the LockRite shouldn't be used with tires larger than 31". Is that true or just myth? I've never seen any caution statements from the manufacturer or any articles. I'm running 33" mud tires right now and am concerned that when I put a much more powerful engine in, it may break the locker if that's true. P.S. Don't want to perpetuate a rumor. Just want to hear if it's true or not. Jim

Reply to
Drink

I have used a lockright up front in my d30 for a few years now and I abuse the hell out of it in the rocks with no problems. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I have had one in the front of my 75 CJ5 for about 6 years & it still works great. Lots of offroading to boot. Also I have a V-8 with a T-18 trans & 34" buckshots!

Reply to
Ken

I am not sure what the manufacture recommends, but I have been running

35X12.50 BFG MT's since day one.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Very good. Thanks for the feedback. That makes me feel a lot better. On a related note, if I lock the brakes, the rear end unloads repeatedly making the bang, bang, bang noise as the locker grabs and snaps loose. Any opinions? Do I just need better front brakes so the grip is shifted up instead of the rear end sliding? I've got 11" drums all 'round and, with

Reply to
Drink