Lug torque question?

What do most of you sent your lug-nut torque to? My 04 Grand cherokee manual states to set them between 80 - 115 ft. lbs.

Just curious where in that range I should be.

thanks.

Reply to
Danny Boy

Just changed the rotors on my CHEVY - torqued to 100 foot pounds (though that was a huge amount - but that was what was recommended) - normally torque my TJ to about ... uggh ... that tight ... hahahaha just kiddin - I hit about 50 foot pounds ~D

Reply to
closed

The consensus here a couple of years ago is that it doesn't matter where in the range you choose, the important thing is to torque them all the same. In other words, if one lug nut is torqued to 80, then all should be torqued to 80. Same with 115 or any number you choose. Back then (1999 plus or minus a year or two) there was an issue with warped rotors that seemed to be related to lugnuts that weren't equally torqued (especially on Grands). I've lost track though and don't know if warped rotors are still an issue or not (hopefully DC has improved the rotors by now).

Rick

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

Danny Boy did pass the time by typing:

As long as they all are the same on each rim.

FWIW, I use 95 ft.lbs

Reply to
DougW

In response to the remark about rotor warpage, that is and has been an issue for all carmakers for the last dozen years or so. It is important to torque evenly and with a good pattern. I torque most everything to 100ft/lbs with a torque stick or a torque wrench.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Somewhere between 80 and 115 ft-lbs should do it.

Figure if you set it to the middle of that range, a torque wrench off by 17.5 pounds will still be in the range.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11