Minivans

For those with Jeeps, if you also own a minivan, can you reply? I'm thinking of buying one. Thanks for your recommendations.

Chevrolet Venture Chrysler Town & Country Dodge Grand Caravan Ford Windstar Honda Odyssey Kia Sedona Mazda MPV Nissan Quest Pontiac Montana Toyota Sienna

Thanks Mike Jeep Sport Cherokee 2000

Reply to
Mike

My wife's last minivan, 2000, we liked it a lot, but I had problems on long trips with my knees giving out, but I am 6'4". The interior has been redesigned since then, and we rented the Dodge model in FL last spring, and it seemed much more comfortable.

Our current one, delivered in Feb 2003, and although Honda has a good reputation, the one we got must've been built on a monday or friday. Was in the dealer's shop 4 times for a total of 32 days the first two months we had it for severe engine oil leaks. After replacing the oil pan (1st visit) and a seal between the engine and transaxle(2nd visit) they finally replaced the shortblock at 1200 *twelve hundred* miles (3rd visit). Main seal on new shortblock leaks, they inspected (4th visit) and denied it, so we are going through the Michigan lemon law process for them to take it back, which we politely requested they do after the second time it was in the shop. Now we are experiencing, in addition to the oil leak, electrical problems with the radio/DVD player, and one of the motorized side doors doesn't reverse fast enough if it's obstructed while closing...ask me how I know...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Just remember that many of the supposedly SUVs are basically minivans that have been labeled as SUVs just for marketing purposes... The Mercedes 'SUV' even looks like a minivan... Personally, I always liked the Chevy Astro / GMC Safari minivans... They are not a full size van, but better than the shrunk down matchbox car type vans of the traditional minivan ilk... You can check out reader comments on various vehicles at

If I was buying a van, I would look for whose rear seats could be easily removed (assuming that I actually decided that I needed rear seats) and it would provide a nice flat space that was large enough for someone to crash out in for those long driving trips when your driving in relays and not staying at hotels each night... Maybe you don't do that, but I have done it and although it is possible to do that with my XJ, you have to sleep at an angle and it's pretty much a one person sleeping at a time type of endeavor... In the end, you need to determine what is the mission profile for which you are expecting the vehicle to used...

Reply to
Grumman-581

My wife has a Dodge Grand Caravan and we love it. It has all-wheel drive, abs brakes, auto stick transmission, overhead console/computer, leather seats (front heated). It's the thing to take on a road trip, especially with my two kids aboard. I can't think of anything I'd rather drive on the interstate than that. There were some years with bad auto transmissions, though. Do your homework.

Reply to
TJim

Look under the hood and imagine working on one. I have worked on quite a few of these and the engine compartments are pretty darn cramped.

chris g1

Reply to
<jduchock

Reply to
Richard Harris

Chevy Astro, love it wouldn't want anything else.

Reply to
Shawn
*Real* darned cramped! Talk about your basic "shoe horn" job... Good luck even replacing the serpentine belt!
Reply to
TJim

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo