Mobile 1 & Moblie 1 EP Q

Personally, I'd wait 15-20000 miles before putting in synthetic... ring seating voodoo and all. Couldn't hurt...

And why this intense interest in the EP grade? Just use Mobil 1 normal and be done with it.

I use Syntec 10W30 in my '00 XJ and change it every 10000 miles. It had 40000 on it when I got it. No problems at 90000. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I thought the site was very clear!

" Defining the term "synthetic lubricant" is becoming more controversial these days, but in general it refers to a lubricant or grease whose basestock has been manufactured by chemical synthesis or organic reaction, as opposed to being extracted or refined from naturally occurring oils. "

Is there something there you don't understand? __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Then what is Oxygen? Or Carbon? __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

I was just trying to figure out what the difference is and would EP harm the motor ("EP does not meet current D/C warranty requirements")*, whereas "regular" Mobil 1 meets D/C new motor warranty requirements.

Thanks for the discussion,

Campbell

  • Reply from Mobil 1 Technical Customer Service from my same question to them. I have no problem with using "regular" Mobil 1 or dino for that matter. Just inquisitive...wanting to know.

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm wondering if the technology exist to monitor the contamination and let someone know when it's time to change oil based on there enviromental conditions and driving habits? Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Mercedes and BMW does it that way in fact they do not even have dipsticks for the engine or transmission anymore.

Reply to
Coasty

Are you sure about that ?

Dave Milne

I was speaking of on-board monitoring. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Both Mobil 1 SuperSyn & Mobile 1 EP SAE 10W30, both have the API mark of "API Service SL/CF" in the "circle emblem" of which you speak.

However, Mobil 1 EP does not say "Energy Conserving" in the bottom of the circle as does Mobil 1 SuperSyn (I knew this; it is the API SM & ILSAC GF-4 rating certifying & establishing a motor oil as "Energy Conserving"). Mobile 1 SuperSyn does not say API SM, but it does say "Energy Conserving." It also says: "... meets ILSAC GF-3...". Both bottles say 10W30 in the middle of the circle and that is what is called for in my climate: South Carolina.

Exxon/Mobil has told me: "Mobil currently is not willing to sacrifice wear and durability for improved fuel economy on the Mobil1 Extended Performance motor oil. Classic Mobil1 motor oils are API "SM and meets (sic) GF-4 rquirements (sic) for the respected viscosities."

Reply to
Campbell C Freeman

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What if the Oxygen is in one of my blood cells? What if the Carbon is in a piece of lettuce that I'm digesting? __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Nice link... read the whole thing. My understanding was that refining oil makes smaller molecules, and reformation makes bigger molecules... turns out that the petrochemical industry puts *all* of its processes under the heading of 'refining'.

The chemical industry is headed for the time when we can create *anything* ouf of *anything*... anyway, thanks for helping me learn something, Bill. Synthetic oil can come from the ground. __ Steve .

__ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to