nail in my tire

That has happened to me more than once too. Or it was just a big head on a 1/2" nail that didn't penetrate straight through.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Radial tubes should (must) be used in radial tires. You can use a radial tube in a bias tire, but not vice versa. I do not know why this is, but the experts are quite vehement about it.

But the only time a tube is really helpful is in certain cases like if the sealing surfaces on the bead won't make a seal despite your best efforts, or on things like trailer tires that get backed into water on boat launches. Also the wire wheels on my MGA. 8^)

On an ordinary tubeless tire a tube offers no advantage (and some disadvantages) if the tire is in safe condition. If the tire is not in safe condition, the tube cannot make it so.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

You guys sure nailed it :P Turned out to be exactly 1/2'' with a big head. It did put in quite a puncture though. Thanks for all the advice.

metalstorm '91 XJ 4.0 D30/D35 ORS

Reply to
metalstorm

I've discovered the hard way that it is usually safer to leave the nail/screw in the tire and drive carefully to a repair shop. On the two dumb occasions where I've pulled the offending object, I had to change the tire first. Usually the object will get stuck in the belts and block the outrushing air enough that you can fill the tire and slowly drive to a shop.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11