need advice on models: 97 sport or 99 se

Looking to buy my first jeep, used.

I have found 2, a 97 Sport, 4.0l, AC, soft top with 68k miles, dealer wants 10.5k for it (Dodge/Jeep dealer). I test drove it and seemed tight, steering and manual tranny. Tops in decent shape drivers window and passenger back plastic is cracked.

The other one is a 99 SE, 67k miles, 2.4l, hardtop, towing package. I will be driving that one tomorrow. It appears in good shape. Dealer wants 8995 for it (non dodge)

Prices seem in line with the NADA and Kelly. Any plus/minuses with either ?

I like the 4.0 over the 2.4, but the hardtop is nice with full doors. Anything in particular to check and watch for ?

Any suggestions or opinions ?

Reply to
Rich Yost

The SE might be prone to a cracked manifold exhaust bolt, the Sport a cracked exhaust manifold. Both may eventually exhibit instrument gauge failure unless it's already been fixed (loose connection).

Pers>Looking to buy my first jeep, used.

Reply to
David C. Moller

I'd take the i6 over the 4 banger any day.. There isn't a siginificant fuel economy difference.. the i6 is just about right for power, could do with a bit more, but if your ever going to do any highway cruising or tow anything bigger is better :)

Reply to
me

I'd go with the 6 cyl, but mine is my daily driver. Don't think I'd like the 4 cyl. on the freeway very much, particularly not in Arkansas where we have a ton of hills.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

The 4.0L will most likely last longer as well. I would go with the soft top model also, I'm not big on the full doors.

Who knows what was pulled with that 2.5L. It has a tow package? Check the tow area for scrapes to see if it was used. You have no idea if someone tried to tow a 5000 pound boat behind that little 2.5L. That could take some years off the engine.

Reply to
Mark12211