Need advice on 97 TJ.

Hi folks. I have a 97 TJ auto with 69K miles. I notice that whenever I leave the jeep overnight or few hours under very cold condition, the jeep will hesitate after a few minutes of driving. I could be driving up few blocks, stop at the stop sign, when press on the gas, the jeep will not move (for a second) and then after a jerk motion, the jeep will move again. Once that happen, it will not occur again. This can even happen when I was driving (25 mph) and all the sudden feel the jeep is not responding to acceleration but after a second or so, the jerk motion and everything is fine. The tough part is that once it happen I can't duplicate on the same day. I took it to the dealer and they told me to bring it back when it happens more often. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Lynn

We had similar symptoms along with a bit high a rev on start up. Just the one hesitation and sometimes a stall at the first stop in the cold.

The connection on our TPS was dirty. I sprayed it out with a contact cleaner like WD40 and it worked perfect for 2 years. I had to do it again last summer.

Just pull all the connectors on the throttle body and spray clean them. It is a good thing to do now and then anyway on a Jeep, water and mud have this way of getting in strange places.... ;-)

Mike

Lynn wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jumpin' Jiminy

Reply to
David C. Moller

I have had a similar problem to the OP ever since I bought my 97 TJ a year and a half ago. I have a standard, (so this has nothing to do with shifting; I would know that), and sometimes, especially if it's cold out, it will hesitate when starting from a stop sign or stoplight in the morning. I'll give it gas, it will act like its going to go normally, hesitate a moment, then resume normal acceleration speed. (I don't get the "jerk" the OP described, though...) I have yet to figure out the cause of this problem, but haven't put much effort into it, either. I figured at first my fuel pump might be dying, but after a year and a half, I would have thought it would be fully dead by now, were that the case. I do seem to recall an error involving my MAP sensor being detected on one of AutoZone's little error code readers when my check engine light was on after high-altitude 4wheeling this summer, though. Could this be related (since someone mentioned the TPS possibly being related, I started wondering about this other sensor also maybe having an effect)? I haven't replaced the MAP sensor, yet, though, because it didn't seem that big a deal to me at the time, and it was kinda pricey.

Sorry, I don't have any help for the OP, but if someone comes up with a good reason this could be happening that could help both of us, that'd be great ;-)

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to