new jeep soft top

hello men, my new 03 sahara has the hard and soft top. the book says that you have to remove the soft top and like take the wrapper off of it or some bull. anybody know if it can stay packed away forever or do you really have to undo it. i also still have the soft top windows in the boxes. just gettin too old to be taking it off all the time. thanks john jr

Reply to
JEEP TJ

The soft top will wear on the hard top and itself if not removed. It is also questionable as to whether you could get warranty coverage for the ST if you don't remove it. It's so easy to remove the ST, it's not worth the risk.

Out of curiousity, if you d> hello men, my new 03 sahara has the hard and soft top. the book says

Reply to
twaldron

Doesn't sound like the soft top is installed... sounds like it's in a box... with a wrapper. td

Reply to
Tyler Dirden

If it is like my '03, the top is installed, folded down on the Jeep, but wrapped with a black "disposable" boot. The boot then has a red "remove one of these tops before use" sleeve covering it.

Both the owner's manual and the enclosed video tell you that you need to remove one of the tops before serious usage. If you don't, the soft top will be damaged, presumably by rubbing itself, or by the metal rear window bar -- which is also wrapped in the soft top "package".

The three plastic windows are "shipped" in a cardboard box, while the 2 soft top door channels are shipped in another cardboard box. Both boxes are separate from the soft top, itself.

My suggestion to the original poster would be to do what I did before I built my hard top lift: remove the hard top, remove the soft top and store it somewhere, then reinstall the hard top. It only takes a few minutes, and two people to remove/install the hard top. You could probably do the whole removal/reinstallation in a half hour.

Or, if you remove the hard top in the morning and reinstall it in the evening, you'll have a whole day of Jeeping topless. That was my motivation for building my hard top "storage" lift... :)

-John

Reply to
John Sevey

Reply to