how to install a new soft top

I just bought a new top for my wrangler, but am not sure if I can install it myself. Any suggestions? Is it easy or should I have someone else professionally do it for me?

Reply to
lsilbern

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

If you bought a new one, it should have come with complete instructions. First, identify that you have the proper top for your vehicle. Second, open the instructions and verify that you have all tools mentioned. Finally, go for it. A nice hot sunny day is best, so the fabric is flexible and easy to stretch.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

New ones have instructions. My Wrangler even has them in the owner's manual, for putting the soft top up and down. It doesn't mention how you get the hard top off though.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The hardest thing is at the header were the fabric attaches there, you have to turn it upside down and rap it over and then screw it in so it makes a lap joint. The instructions are kind of lacking on explaining that part, at least they were on my 2000 TJ soft top that I bought from the dealer. It came completely unassembled, not what I was expecting to get from the dealer. Just pay attention as to how you take the old one off (that is if you have an old one to take apart).

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reins

My used YJ didn't come with instructions. The first time I folded the top down, I didn't realize I needed to strap it down. That was fine until I hit the highway. The wind caught it and almost folded it back up. Scary at 65mph.

CTM

Reply to
testert555